Truckers hitch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

captmikem

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Island Comfort
Vessel Make
Monk 38
The Truckers Hitch

This is a handy and versatile hitch.

Here is a little video that shows in clear simple terms how to tie the truckers hitch. You might even enjoy it.

M

Poor man's ratchet strap.

I have seen truckers hitches come apart on boats. I would much rather use a bowline on a bight and have always found that they are very easy to take out after using. I have taught many deck crew how to make one, and have never seen a failure.

I have seen truckers hitches come apart on boats. I would much rather use a bowline on a bight and have always found that they are very easy to take out after using. I have taught many deck crew how to make one, and have never seen a failure.

must not have watched the video....

2 different animals.....2 different purposes.

Never had one come undone if you properly belay the bitter end.

Use them all the time when lashing stuff down.

I use a figure 8 on a bight, then 3 half hitches to lock it. The figure 8 is easier to break if put under load. Then again, I spent a lot of time climbing when I was younger. Bowlines aren't used as much as figure 8's in climbing, so a lot of it is habit.

Attachments

• How-to-Tie-a-Truckers-Hitch.jpg
    How-to-Tie-a-Truckers-Hitch.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Truckers' hitch / gun tackle

I use a variant of the hitch shown above, which has never failed me, nor has it failed to un-knot when I untie it.
After making the first slip knot, I half-hitch a bight of the running end around the loop.
This prevents the loop from closing.
After pulling the load tight, I half-hitch the running end around itself, but I use a loop in the half-hitch to ease release.
I then take the running end and half-hitch it around the release loop, to keep that from coming undone. As there is no load on that last loop, it will not jam.
JohnS

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom