Looking for advice please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cancoon

We have a 48 offshore with 3208ta cats. The boat hasn't been run and neglected for several years. How should we attack this project to make sure everything is still operational. We have changed the batteries to 6, 12 volt batteries. Should we fix what we know needs attention or get it surveyed first. It was in the water for 4 years, now it is on the hard. Any suggestions would be well received. Thanks

I think i would start with the engines and go from there.

We have a 48 offshore with 3208ta cats. The boat hasn't been run and neglected for several years. How should we attack this project to make sure everything is still operational. We have changed the batteries to 6, 12 volt batteries. Should we fix what we know needs attention or get it surveyed first. It was in the water for 4 years, now it is on the hard. Any suggestions would be well received. Thanks

I'd start with engines, too. Probably replace all the hoses, service heat exchangers and aftercoolers, replace gear oil coolers, etc... new impellers in the water pumps (or maybe even new water pumps if necessary)... new (zinc) anodes... and then the obvious oil and filter change, coolant system flush and coolant and filter change, primary and secondary fuel filter change... to get off on the right foot and for peace of mind.

Ditto generator.

If you need a survey for insurance purposes anyway, doing that would probably highlight some of the other obvious fixes needed.

-Chris

I would start with a survey. There is no sense in dumping a bunch of money into the engines to find out that you have an issue with the stringers or transom. Figure out if the boat is worth saving, then figure out if the engines are worth saving. You'll repower a boat, but you won't build a new boat around old engines.

I was given the advice buy a hull and condition surveyor 3 boat purchases ago when considering an older boat to do the engine survey first. It's generally less expensive than a good hull and condition survey. If the engines are beyond help requiring a repower that will generally cost more than an older boat is worth.

If engine survey turns up good then move on to hull and condition.

Thanks for all of the advice from contributors. You have convinced me to do the engines first, get them serviced, etc. I am 75 and hope I will be able to do most of this myself. I am sceptical. I am of the opinion that the horror stories I hear about dubious techs in Florida are justified from stories I have heard. Not all but difficult to find honest talented service techs. I stress talented. Thanks again everyone.

Another option if you don't need the survey for insurance or financing is to hire a surveyor to go through the boat and give you a "punch list" or item list of the big things to fix. Writing the report is hard work, and the part of the job most surveyors hate. You don't mention where you are, but if you're in the south we're heading into the slower season for surveyors and it would be easy to find one to give you the discounted inspection. If you're up north it's obviously a different story. Edit: you posted that you're in Florida while I was typing.

Have it surveyed. I would want to know what needs corrected before starting it to avoid potential damage

Back
Top Bottom