Transport by ship: anyone ever use Allied Ocean Transport?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nick14

Guru
Vessel Name
Culmination
Vessel Make
Helmsman 38 Sedan
Has anyone ever had their boat transported by ship through the Panama Canal?

Ocean transport is periodically mentioned in threads as an option (such as from Ensenada Mexico to Florida, or vice versa). I would welcome hearing about anyone's experiences that has actually done this.

In particular, has anyone ever used Allied Ocean Transport?

Occasionally you hear about problems with transport by ship, such as the boat falling off the cradle in a storm, or insurance/liability issues. I'd like to get a feel for whether problems like this are the exception or the rule, and how risky it is in general to use transport by ship.

Thank you!

DO NOT USE THEM!!!

Save your money and time and use someone who can actually ship your boat in a timely manner. We still don’t have our 48k deposit back from them and they have no intentions of giving it back either.

There is risk. Be 100% sure of insurance coverage no matter which shipper you use. There will be some schedule uncertainty. Both of these things are part of the business and manageable.

There is also risk of the comapny going out of business leaving you stranded. I recommend Sevenstar. They do a very good job. They are part of Spliethoff a major worldwide dry cargo shipping company. Not likely to go out of business leaving you stranded.

There is risk. Be 100% sure of insurance coverage no matter which shipper you use. There will be some schedule uncertainty. Both of these things are part of the business and manageable.

There is also risk of the comapny going out of business leaving you stranded. I recommend Sevenstar. They do a very good job. They are part of Spliethoff a major worldwide dry cargo shipping company. Not likely to go out of business leaving you stranded.

There are still only two shipping options we're comfortable recommending. On a new boat, many builders have arrangements with shippers, have good cradles, have dependable shipping and that's good. Otherwise, Sevenstar and their subsidiary DYT. They are the most dependable and while any freight carrier can go out of business, they're least likely plus offer good insurance.

People continue to search for cheaper alternatives and continue to get hurt doing so. It makes sense. Think of it this way. Sevenstar (and their parent) own their own ships, have the most shipments, make a reasonable profit. How is someone else who is contracting for ship space, paying markup to a 3rd party, ever going to provide a lower price and quality service. It is completely illogical.

Back
Top Bottom