Removing window and door frames on 400

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PaulB.

Veteran Member
I am gearing up to paint the side aluminum window frames and stern door frame on my 2006 Mainship 400 which are flaking. I will likely do them in place on the boat but was wondering??? Has anyone removed their frames and the outer door assembly to have them painted or replace the windows? How difficult was it? Are they sealed or bedded in addition to the screws? If they would come out reasonably easily it would open up the option of having them professionally re-painted or powder coated.
Thanks Paul

I haven’t done them on a Mainship but when I did pull windows they were pretty well bedded. I took a wide putty knife and laid it on the cabin side to give me something to pry against so I didn’t scratch up the gel coat. Then worked another sharpened putty knife into the seam between the window and cabin side. Also used a small pry bar against the putty knife lying on the cabin side. The sharpened putty knife would cut the bedding. Then just work all around the window, takes a while but it is a boat…

I painted mine in place. Posted a thread on it about a year or so ago. I can dig it up if you are interested.

Greetings,
Mr. PB. I know nothing about Mainships BUT if your windows and door(s) aren't leaking, PAINT THEM IN PLACE! (Sorry, I panicked, eh?).
That being the case, you can probably mask around the frames and paint (2 coats) in much less time than it would take to R&R&R existing.

Three years ago I did the side aluminum frames in our 23' Penn Yan sportfish, in situ. I used rattle can satin black trim paint. I touched it up this spring and didn't notice any change in hue/lustre. May not achieve the same results in Florida but seems OK here in Ontario.

Did what I wanted, for me. YMMV.

iu

I undertook the door frame project last year. I thought about removing the door frame but didn’t for two reasons. First I decided I wouldn’t be able to transport the frame in one piece to a powder coater and second, the screws were impossible to remove. Probably dissimilar metal corrosion.

I ended up scraping and sanding the frame in place with the intent of painting. However once I got the paint off I kind of liked the look of the bare aluminum. It almost matched the actual doors. Haven’t painted yet and I may not.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom