Mainship 400 cockpit door refinishing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dougcole

Guru
Vessel Name
Morgan
Vessel Make
'05 Mainship 40T
Hi All,

Like many 2005 and later 400s, the corrosion under the powder coating on our cockpit doors had become a big issue, they looked really bad. So last week I jumped into the pretty big project of refinishing them. I had a lot of good advice from nautical and industrial supplies in Stuart, FL.

By the way, I wore a rebreather for all of this process. SOme of the chemicals have bad reps.

Step one, I pulled out all of the stainless screws, which are a big part of the corrosion problem due to dissimilar metals.

Step two, sanding. I started with a wire brush on a drill. As I do other parts of the boat I'm going to use a flap disk on my grinder, but the brush worked ok. Followed that with 60 grit paper on my oscillating tool, then with 100 grit on my 5" random orbital sander. I was told to leave on any of the coating that didn't come off with this sanding method, as it was adhered better than anything I could apply after.

Step three, acid wash. I was told that it is important to do the next two steps as soon as you finish sanding, so that is what I did. I painted on the acid wash with a disposable brush, then washed it off with water, as per the instructions.

Step four, Aluma Prep. Similar to the acid wash, paint on then wash off with water.

Step five, two coats of two part epoxy primer. I used a better disposable brush called a urethaner. No sanding in between. Let dry overnight after second coat.

Step six, light sanding with 120 grit.

Step seven, Awl Grip, two part, eggshell white, three coats. Medium sanding with 120 grit in between. I let each coat dry 10 to 12 hours and used a good quality synthetic brush.

Step eight, reinstall screws bedded in Teff Gel.

I'm pleased with the results, pics below show before and after. I hope it lasts.

Attachments

• IMG_0869.jpg
    IMG_0869.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_0870.jpg
    IMG_0870.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0876.jpg
    IMG_0876.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0878.jpg
    IMG_0878.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Looks great, hope it does last. Sounds like you did everything you could to prep it well.

Looks great, hope it does last. Sounds like you did everything you could to prep it well.

Thanks.

The guys at the shop said 8 to 10 years. I'd be happy with that.

I've still got to do the insides of the doors, but they don't have anywhere near as much corrosion on them.

Thanks.

The guys at the shop said 8 to 10 years. I'd be happy with that.

I've still got to do the insides of the doors, but they don't have anywhere near as much corrosion on them.

8 to 10 years would be well worth it then.

We had a professional vinyl wrap the doors and turned out great. 3 hours and cheap compared to painting!!

Interesting.

Does the rough surface of the corrosion show through the vinyl wrap?

Mine had a little corrosion, so I sanded and painted it, brushed on and then he applied vinyl wrap. Came out great. I try to find pictures as I sold boat one year ago.

Back
Top Bottom