Raymarine Auto Pilot Compatibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bamagirl1234

I have a 42' Ocean Alexander that doesn't have an auto pilot. I am looking to add one. I am still pretty new to boating so my question may be pretty basic, but here goes. I am thinking the Raymarine EV-200 with a Type 1 pump. Anyone else out there know if that would be enough for a 42 foot boat? My displacement is about 30,000 lbs. Thx.

Welcome aboard. I have a Formula 41PC and that is what I have. My boat is likely faster than yours and lighter weight though.

The pump size should be based upon the volume of your boat's steering ram. If you can get the numbers off of your steering ram in the lazarette, you should be able to look up the volume and then select the right size pump, and then the correct Autopilot to power it.

Off the cuff, I suspect the type 1 pump is too small for a 42' 30,000# boat.

I would look at Simrad AP. Very responsive in corrections.

Keep in mind that almost all APs NEMA2k to communicate. So almost any MFDs can be used with it.

We have a similar size and weight boat, and chose the ev-400 drive unit. for a type 2 pump. We could have gone either the 200 or 400 as the recommended drive unit for the ram size. I chose to go with the bigger drive unit as the response from the AP will be quicker I feel this helps in sloppy water especially following and beam seas.

Furuno has/had a website that details AP systems, components and how to size them. If that site is still around it is quite helpful.

We have a 44 Carver and did exactly as "Ka-Sea-Ta" did. Works great!

Assuming you have twin engines:

Minimum hydraulic cylinder for a 42 ft boat would be 7" stroke and 10 Cu In displacement. That would give you adequate response time and 6 turns lock to lock. But... If you have existing cylinder get the model number and lookup specs.

A type 1 is good for 5 to 10 cu in so you would be at upper end of capacity. A type 1 pump would be working constantly at full load.

A type 2 with ACU-400 (or EV-400) would be far more compatible with a 42' boat and will result in good response and run at reasonable load.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom