Newbie here hi y'all

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Speedcat

Hey Trawler Family,

I'm new here and wanted to intro. I live in Seattle and I have a gas sport cruiser at the moment, looking to upgrade to a trawler when I can afford it. Despite my screen name, I'm not super interested in speed 😋

I'm looking at a big Taiwanese trawler with twin 671 TI engines. I didn't want to rely on the seller comments about fuel economy, so posted here about it. Hope to hear from y'all!

Also interested in repair and upgrade facilities, service techs, etc, available in this region. Looking forward to talking with y'all

Best,
Speed (Jeremy)

Reactions: PNW
Welcome Aboard. Everett has some good facilities just north of you.

Welcome to the group. You will want to see maintenance rcords on the 6-71's. Good motors, built between 1938 until late 90's . then the EPA said no more.

Welcome to the group. You will want to see maintenance rcords on the 6-71's. Good motors, built between 1938 until late 90's . then the EPA said no more.
Thanks Mischief. In the event there are no such records, what would you recommend? Oil samples? I would get a survey, but those usually don't include the engines themselves, would have to get a DD mechanic down there to review them, I'd assume?

If you get Oil samples, (recommended) , do it after the engines have been brought to operating temp. Also, the transmissions. There are Engine surveyors out there. ask if they are familiar with the 6-71's, as they are 2 strokes.

If you get Oil samples, (recommended) , do it after the engines have been brought to operating temp. Also, the transmissions. There are Engine surveyors out there. ask if they are familiar with the 6-71's, as they are 2 strokes.
Thanks so much. I'm in the PNW, so if anyone knows of good DD engine surveyors, please drop a note. :)

Reactions: PNW
Thanks so much. I'm in the PNW, so if anyone knows of good DD engine surveyors, please drop a note. :)
I know someone who does analog marine diesels all day long, and I'm sure she would love to get to know your 6-71 twins. I'm new around here so not going to drop name/number til I find out the etiquette on that but PM me and I'll shoot it to ya there for now.

I haven't finished reading all the meta posts about navigating the formus but if anyone wants to chime in on how it goes with recommending people and putting personal info in these types of threads, thank ya kindly.

Back
Top Bottom