Newbie looking for information an interior headroom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yogitrek

Hello Everyone,

My Capitan and I are beginning our search for a home on the water and we are looking at ocean capable trawlers. I have been devouring the posts here and I want to thank all of you for so willingly sharing your wisdom. I have an issue and I am hoping the collective might have some ideas. I am as it turns out very tall even for a trawler. I am just over 6'6" and I am looking for sufficient headroom. I sat a great fiberglass Diesel Duck online located in Tx but the headroom is just not there for me. The boat looks truly awesome but...

Does anyone know if KK or Nordhaven offers a boat that my wife and I could sail ( 40+ feet to maybe 50+ feet ) that could safely and comfortably be lived on and cruise the west coast and eventually over to the east coast? We are both teachers and therefore are on somewhat of a budget but I see a few nice looking trawlers that we could swing for. We are saving our money and getting informed in the meantime.

All my best to everyone in these most unsettled times.
Yogi

Any information would be great

Welcome aboard. Sorry those are not my type of boats, we are coastal cruisers, so I cannot help you.

Hi Yogitrek. Welcome aboard!
I can't advise much about headroom on "passagemaker" type vessels, but I have seen "headroom" mentioned a LOT during the last year in this forum. If you haven't already, do try experimenting with the Search feature. I just plugged in "headroom" and it comes back with over 500 posts mentioning this.
Good luck!

Hi Yogi, and Welcome to the Forum.
I do not own any of the "ocean going" vessels you are discussing. However, good boating friends do and have. Now they own a KK 52, and we have been onboard many times. I am 6'2" and have not had any problems with height on this boat and I think your height "should" be OK as well. You will have to duck in the doorways I would guess. Prior to this KK, they owned a KK 44 and that one "might" work for headroom as well. However, these are newer models and therefore will cost a fair bit to purchase, so I don't know if your budget will handle these??
When we owned a Bavaria 36 sailboat, the only place I could stand fully upright was near the companionway, but for over 10 years it worked out OK.
Expecting to have over 6'6" headroom throughout an ocean going trawler (and achieving a "limited" budget), may result in a very narrow selection, resulting in compromises in other areas???
Good luck.

We found a good combination of headroom and living space on our Cheoy Lee 40 LRC, though I am only 6'4", the saloon and master bedroom are 6'6"+.
You might look at the Cheoy Lee in the 50'+ LRC lune and see what they look like.
Most of the blue water boats will be MUCH more expensive than the capable coastal cruisers like the Defever and Grand Banks.
Several of the Defevers we looked at had good headroom and tiny showers :-(
You might look at some older boats from specialty makers like Seaton, Selene, and Rohmsdahl, among many others.
Yachtworld, Curtis Stokes (broker), boats.com, or internet searches for bluewater trawler for sale could find some interesting boats, then look at maker / vendor sites for headroom and other specifications.
Welcome aboard.
Good luck with your search.
JohnS

I would also have a hard look at the cabins and bunk size. At 6'6" most Marine beds will mean you are sleeping with your knees up. Though this might be something you are already used to.

Take a look at new posts, "talk me out of this"
Member found a Defever 48? in Mexico for $150k that details having 6"7' headroom.

Your post is a bit of a contradiction.

"We are both teachers and therefore on somewhat of a budget". You are looking at a 40 to 50 foot K.K. or Nordhven.

"Budget" and "K.K./Nordhavn" do not go together in the same post.

I could be reading you wrong but boats, even used boats, in the class and size you refer to are going to run you over a half million.

pete

Your post is a bit of a contradiction.

"We are both teachers and therefore on somewhat of a budget". You are looking at a 40 to 50 foot K.K. or Nordhven.

"Budget" and "K.K./Nordhavn" do not go together in the same post.

I could be reading you wrong but boats, even used boats, in the class and size you refer to are going to run you over a half million.

pete

Sound like they are selling their dirt home and moving aboard. If that home is in Redwood City CA it is probably worth a few bucks!

Back
Top Bottom