Bow washdown fitting replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Escape
Vessel Make
Mariner 37
Our raw water washdown pump quit last year and I am taking the opportunity to also update the fitting at the bow. It felt like just a matter of time before I kicked the old one and either broke it or my toe. As is so often the case, it was not as simple as it appeared.

While it looks a lot like a Scandvick spigot, mine has male threads that screw into a through hull fitting in the foredeck. It looks like Scandvick makes only female threaded spigots these days.

Question is, how does that through hull fitting come out? It spins freely after disassembling to the point shown. I don’t see a nut threaded onto the bottom of the fitting inside the anchor locker. What am I missing?

Attachments

• IMG_3781.jpeg
    IMG_3781.jpeg
    217.2 KB · Views: 28
Very strange. I would have said they used a sealant, but that wouldn't spin. If all else fails, I would use a hole saw that barely fits over the fitting. You can always scrape out the coring around the hole and fill with thickened epoxy to drill for the new fitting. There is a thru hull fitting that sits flush with the deck that comes with a quick connect fitting for your wash down hose.

It looks to me as though the bulkhead fitting has a tube like a hose barb, with a swaged ring, acting as a clamp to hold the hose on. Don't know if you can cut the blueish green ring off with a Dremel tool, replace the hose, and secure it with a hose clamp.

Ted

I am still just speculating, but I believe this is how it went together back in 2007. There is a 1" diameter hole in the bow deck. Into that hole went some sealant and a flanged threaded coupling (for lack of a better term). The through deck fitting was held in place by the flange on the bottom and the trim ring (not shown, but you can see where the old sealant was) on the top held in place by the spigot threaded into the top of the coupling.

IMG_3781.jpeg

Can't explain why it's loose now, but that is probably from me trying to unthread and remove it. Since I need to enlarge the hole to 1-½", my current strategy is to hole saw right through the fitting. The deck is almost 2" thick there, so I had to buy a deep well hole saw. Fingers are crossed! Thanks guys.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom