James River in Virginia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sndbowen

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Passage - sold
Vessel Make
2010 Mainship 395
Does anyone have any experience navigating upstream on the James River?

Thinking about taking a little side trip and wondering how far it is navigable.

The James is navigable up to Richmond, the Port of Richmond operates a container facility about 4 miles downstream from downtown. There is a marina on the North bank that accepts transients. The challenge is the current, which can be swift following heavy rains up stream; indeed some of the best Class IV rapids can be found by paddlers a couple of miles west of the I-95 bridge. That bridge is just upstream of Rockett's Landing Marina. Like any large river, one needs to be mindful of floating and submerged trees that began there trip downstream somewhere near Lynchburg.I have thought about traveling up the James (we keep our boat in Hampton) up to its confluence with the Chickahominy River, Two Rivers Marina is located there. There is enough history within walking distance of the James to make it an interesting cruise, think Jamestown, Williamsburg, Yorktown and Richmond.

Thanks for the information. Sounds like it could be an interesting side trip.

There are a number of riverside historical plantations up there. If you are of a mind to look in on any of them, you might call their offices to see what they might offer in the way of a daytime mooring for your visit.

I lived in Williamsburg back in the early to mid 1990's. Loved that area. I'm not too familiar with the river but I do recall seeing some rapids on the river from the air while training for my pilot's license.

Reminded of a "cruise" a bunch of us did in two run-about boats that various friends had. A bunch of us piled into the boats at Jamestown, not far from the Two Rivers Marina that bnoft mentioned.... went down river to Smithfield for a nice dinner at what is now called Smithfield Station. The engine on the boat I was on died on the way down river so it turned into a tow the rest of the way and all the way home. It was slow going & it turned out to be a very late night.... I remember it being kinda spooky towing slowly through the ghost fleet late at night.
Looking on google map, it doesn't look like there's much left of the ghost fleet now....

Anyway, that could be a good trip if there are decent places to dock or to land the dingy.
Mariner's Museum in Hampton I remember being good. You could spend weeks around Jamestown/Yorktown/Williamsburg and not do it all.... Plantations along the river

I have been up the James to the end of the navigable waterway many times. You can easily make it to Rocketts Landing, which is just below where the rapids start in Richmond. You can reserve a transient dock there and bike, bus, cab to downtown and Shockoe Bottom easily. There are a couple restaurants in the vicinity of Rocketts.

Good history all the way up the James (Rocketts is built at the location of the oldest known brewery in the US, now just some stones into the hillside). I agree with the comment that the Chickahominy is interesting as well. With the wildlife and the abundance of cypress trees, it feels like going back in time (although the seasonal jet skis hamper that feeling a bit).

There is a lot of history on that river.

I'm docked at the Richmond Yacht Basin just south of Richmond (about 10 miles) off a small bend. I don't know your draft, but we run about 4.5' and it's navigable as long as you stay in the channel. Above Jamestown, it shallows out extremely fast outside of the channel.

Watch for debris, there's a lot of it coming down the river after a heavy period of rain.

Back
Top Bottom