Getting liveaboard at dock ready for summer mooring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lostsailor13

Vessel Name
Broadbill
Vessel Make
Willard 36
Starting with the batteries which are 8d,recently put new starting battery in bank 2 and going to replace bank 1 this spring with something for house bank,also looking to hook up 3500 watt wind turbine,starting to try to figure out a good setup,the boat is full time liveaboard,so house battery will be taking a beating running through daily cycles,the turbine I have picked out seems good,any input on battery type for this application,solar panels possibly combination of panels and turbine,all input would help out alot will soon start purchasing components

3500 watt wind turbine? The example I saw had a 13 foot rotor diameter.

More common wattage is down around 400 watts on a lot of boats I know.

If you are going to cycle the battery bank so many times look at Lithium batteries. I got some Lion Energy and they have a lifetime warranty. 3500 plus cycles. Costco had them on sale 2 for $1400. I think they are back on sale now, maybe.

Hmmm, I see a couple points which I feel I must mention.

The first being that you will probably want to get rid of the 8Ds, it has been discussed at length here. Lots of reasons to get rid of them.

3,500 watts from a boat mounted wind generator? Are you talking in a gale or all the way to a full blown hurricane in which case it will probably rip right off. In a sheltered marina I doubt if you will achieve anywhere near the maximum number of whichever generator you buy. Probably not while cruising either unless you are bashing into about a 20 knott wind. That leaves at anchor, also probably doubtful.

I think solar would be a far better solution for you.

pete

And a less annoying solution. The wind generator will make noise constantly for you and your neighbors. Also there will most likely be a vibration issue on your boat.

Wind turbine

You haven't seen the new style vertical turbines then it's not 14 ft dia

IF you are dockside in a marina the neighbors may complain about the noise , even from the new units with "silent " blades.

Its usually far easier (and less costly) to reduce electric loads than constantly attempt to charge batteries.

Interesting - here's an 8000W advertised on Amazon for $550.00. States it's under 1-meter in diameter, and starts generating at 2-m/s (5 mph) breeze, and is rated at 12 m/s (27 mph). Seems hard to believe out of such a small unit given a 9kw generator would burn over 1 gal diesel to generate a commensurate amount of power, but here you go.

https://www.amazon.com/TQ-Vertical-...07343898&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-1-catcorr&th=1

I look forward to reviews of these new, small vertical turbines...if true, solar finally has competition.

Lostsailor - I guess I don't understand the exam question. If I recall, you are in the Boston area - are you living at a dock or anchor-out? At anchor, I would think that around 125 AH/day would keep you happy as long as cooking/heat/water heat were by some flavor of hydrocarbon (propane/diesel). 2-3 panels would probably cover you in the winter.

Two more thumbs-down on 8D batteries. Getting them in/out was hard when I was 35 and strong as an ox. As an old silver-back these days, I'll stick with smaller T105s, or more recently, LiON at 35-lbs each.

Peter

My LiFePO4 batteries are 23 pounds each and come with a lifetime warranty. no way I would ever do 8Ds again.

"Interesting - here's an 8000W advertised on Amazon for $550.00"

Perhaps its advertising garbage and the mean a 24 hour max output.

The nice thing about a wind powered generator is that it works at night. But there are stretches in the summer with no wind for short stretches. These coincide with (usually) sunny times.

If you want to stay away from a generator, a wind turbine/solar panel combo is ideal.

Being at anchor seems the right fit for this application.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom