48 hatteras vs 44 tollycraft

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Greetings,
Mr. O. I’ve HEARD the 6-92’s are not the best in the Detroit line. Anecdotal ONLY.

Greetings,
Mr. O. I’ve HEARD the 6-92’s are not the best in the Detroit line. Anecdotal ONLY.

A prior boat had 892's. I consistently heard two things from mechanics and other DD owners: 1) all 2-stroke DD's leak oil, and 2) the naturally aspirated DD's will run for ever, and 3) the turbo/high horsepower DDs (including especially the J&T 892s) will run until they overheat, but they are constantly on the edge of overheating when running anywhere near max or even cruise rpms/

The aft deck on the Hatt is dreamy. I looked at an Atlaintic 48 (designed by Jack Hargrave) in NC and was ready to pull the trigger, but the survey showed stuff. The aft cockpit on the Tolly is kinda wasted space IMHO

I entertain ideas of enclosing or at least covering the aft cabin top of my GB 46, but that would change her too much, and access is not practical.

I like the aft cockpit on the tolly, it provides easy access to water level. Easy place to grab a stern line when docking. It’s a trade off I’d easily take.
Both look well maintained. I’d rather have the 3208s though. Lots to like with either one.

O
What are your plans for the boat? Stay at the dock or cruise?

Getting on and off the Hatt looks challenging. If the FB enclosure clears on the Hatt are soft isinglass PNW rain and fog would be obscured at times. No ER pictures. Are the fuel tanks FRP? If so a plus.

The ER in the Tolly looks bad. Tolly plastic interiors don’t always age well. The FB area on the Tolly looks pretty good.

A first rate (before survey) in the sun inspection of both will tell the tale. At the same speeds the Hatt will burn about 30% more fuel as it is bigger and DDs are thirstier.

Hatteras gets my vote hands down. I would focus on the the engines, generator, and paint condition status before making a decision/offer. And then I'd get hulll and mechanical surveys to fine tune what needs to be done. I own a 1987 Hatteras, and it is very well built.

No go for me on the Hatteras because fishing and tying up to a dock would be too difficult without a cockpit.

Very difficult decision. If speed is at all an issue then the Tolly will be the better choice. It simply will travel at 12-14 kts for a lot less fuel than the Hatteras. If space is the issue the Hatteras is going to be bigger.

Once you see the boats in person you will probably know which boat fits your style best.

The Tolly listing is poorly done and I can not tell much about how it is equipped. THe Hatteras appears to be a well equipped 48’ boat.

In my opinion both boats need serious cosmetic upgrading so that appears to not be a decision issue.

First determine how you will boat and then go look at the boats to see how they meet your needs.

On the one hand, I would much prefer the Cat 3208's in the Tolly. On the other hand, the Hatt has Fiberglass Tanks which is a huge advantage for Hatt's.
Replacing metal tanks in a older boat is a very big ordeal. Tough call here.

Boat is going to be a live aboard in portland Oregon. Mainly used for that with some cruising. I don't like Detroit diesels but I do like the living space in the hatteras. The tolly does have a bad listing. Bad pics etc but I know they are well built too. I was always under the impression that hatteras were built a little better though.

With older boats I think that initial build quality isn’t as important as how the boat has been maintained. I didn’t look at the listings yet so I can’t comment on the individual boats. One thought is the aft cockpit is very nice if you will be getting on and off the boat a lot. As one ages having dock level access is really nice. We had a sundeck motoryacht with a cockpit. It was great for loading stuff onto the boat. And we were much younger then but we still loved it. We had a big dog then and it was great for him.

For living aboard, the Hatt has more room. I don't think the Detroits are a deal breaker if you have them checked out by a 2-cycle Detroit-knowledgeable shop. I like the Tolly's small cockpit better for docking.

Hey One Nerd, we are looking at the same boats. I dropped the Hatt because the only way to dock a flush deck boat is via the swim step and that boat has the davit there. How to dock? The Tolly cockpit is useful for docking.

We have a Sundeck boat now and that is why we are looking at others. The raised deck and aft cabin at fanstastic, but docking involves a jump down from the deck to the dock and a ladder to get back up. Hard on the body as we age.

If that does not bother you, wait until we get back from Alaska. Will be back in Everett in 4 weeks after going to Glacier Bay in our 1987 President 37 Sundeck. We burn 2.4GPH at 7 knots on the single Lehman 225. I am sitting on the forward cabin top in a deck chair in the sun right now in Grace Harbor in Desolation if you want to pop by…

If we find the bigger boat we want, this one will get listed at around $65k. 300G fuel, 150 water, water maker and 8kw generator.

Resized_Resized_20220507_122026.jpg[/attach]

Attachments

• Resized_Resized_20220507_122026.jpg
    Resized_Resized_20220507_122026.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 25
We owned a 1981 48 Hatt Motoryacht for 12 years and cruised the Great Lakes extensively. Loved the boat, no issues with 6/92’s. Lots of space and great all weather cruiser. 10 kts/10 gph. Moved to southern ICW and did not want to see her condition deteriorate in the salt/weather so sold her. Miss her though.

I am a fan of the 2 stroke diesel so ‘i’d lean towards the Detroits just on principle but given the 2 to choose from that Hatteras layout looks very livable. Boarding wise the Marquipt boarding stairs make that easy but hauling the stairs around can be a PITA depending on the setup and storage solution.

Boarding definitely seems to be a recurring theme. I'm 55:oldman: and have needed knee surgery since ive been 37 years old. Also have a few back issues so it's sounding less plausible for me to consider a boat that is just going to get harder and harder to board. Plus I have a dog. Not sure how that would work either but she's not a good swimmer...

Boarding definitely seems to be a recurring theme. I'm 55:oldman: and have needed knee surgery since ive been 37 years old. Also have a few back issues so it's sounding less plausible for me to consider a boat that is just going to get harder and harder to board. Plus I have a dog. Not sure how that would work either but she's not a good swimmer...

Bluntly, given your mobility concerns/dog, you are in the wrong category of boat. A sedan layout would be much easier on your knees, especially with an armful of groceries.

Here's an example in the same price range of <$100k (not a recommendation, just an example). I realize the living space is much less than even the Tolly, but if accessibility are important, somethng to consider....

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1981-cheer-men-38-europa-8824590/

Peter

Hey One Nerd, we are looking at the same boats. I dropped the Hatt because the only way to dock a flush deck boat is via the swim step and that boat has the davit there. How to dock?

No pics of the dingy hanging but in my experience with the ladder offset to the port side you should be able to climb down the steps on the swim platform and step off onto the dock. That or just hand a line over the rail to a dock assistant if you are solo.
I get that it looks intimidating but the process isn’t any different than any other boat as long as the crew is able body and can transition a ladder.

Just a guess on my part here but both of those boats appear to have poor sight lines for the captain when backing into a slip, to me this would be a bigger concern then climbing down a ladder to get to the swim step. Maybe they have both have a set of stern controls and I missed it.

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1987-tollycraft-cpmy-8958687/

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1981-hatteras-motoryacht-8314083/

going to try and look at both asap. Any thoughts or experience on either one would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

While similar on the surface, these are very different boats under the skin. In a very broad brush, the Tolly is significantly smaller in all areas, the importance of which can only be assessed by yourself, given YOUR use case. Onboarding access on the Tolly is obviously much better via the cockpit than the Hat, but again, only an issue you can assess. Build quality is probably moot, as condition is so much more important. However well built as the Tolly's were, the equivalent Hatteras models were TANKS by comparison. Given that factory support from Hatteras continues to this day is very telling.

Having owned a Tolly 48 w/3208s, and a Canoe Cove 53 with DD's, engine manufacturer is (in my opinion) of little importance, given adequate maintenance (and documentation thereof) throughout their lifetimes. Wise money ignores all urban legend regarding DDs, and CAT 3208s as well. Most are unfounded speculation.

Regards,
Pete

My issues with the 3208 is the physical size. I am looking at Taiwan RPH boats. One was an OA MKI with 3208s. I have been in several engine rooms with Lehmans and access is easy. With the 3208 in that size space I could not get to the port engine raw water pump. I look at what will have easy service and parts availability in PNW waters to Alaska. The 3208 is widely supported, durable and efficient. But it is huge. Review access in the boat before you buy. My last boat was an amazing performer with Volvo power (Storebro 36 RC). But the engine space was impossibly crammed with the big engines. I could not get alongside them to work.

The 3208 is definitely a large engine for the power it produces. Access will depend a lot on the engine room layout and whether there's anything mounted next to the engines (like fuel tanks).

Well called on both hatteras was being used by the owner and almost sounded like selling was secondary concern from the salesman Dan. The tollycraft was in Burien and out of the way for this weekend but we'll see. I'm going to try and look at both at least just for the knowledge of what will work and what won't.

Back
Top Bottom