1970 Grand Banks 32

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the plan R

Hello,

We’re hoping to close on a 1970 wooden 32 foot Grand Banks this month. She has been well maintained and covered for decades. We are on a waitlist for covered mortgage but it’s going to be at least 6 months.

We’re wondering what other people with similar boats do as a standard maintenance schedule. How often are you hauling out? Bottom paint, railings and deck maintenance, Ect.

I know there’s a lot of work involved but would love a sense of what to expect.

Also, any advice for it not being covered would be welcome. Maybe there’s something we can do to mitigate the effects of sun and rain.

Thanks for any help, this boat is a relic and I’m really hoping we can keep her up as well as the last owner.

We had a 32' woody for many years, outside for part of the time and inside for the rest.

We hauled out every 2 years for bottom paint and maintenance. Had a diver every 6 months to check the zincs and give the bottom a scrub.

We chose to strip the rails of varnish and used a product called Teak Guard instead. Maintenance after that was give them a scrub with bronze wool and re-apply the Teak Guard once a season. Very nice finish.

Our deck maintenance was to scrub the decks once a quarter with saltwater or as necessary for grime.

Best advice is to never defer maintaining the paint on the house and hull, if you do it can get away from you fast.

These are great boats and will give you many happy years of use.

There is a thread in the Grand Banks section of this form called the Transformation Continues that follows what we did with ours.

Bob

Assuming the varnish is in good condition you probably want to add a couple of coats after very light sanding every six months while uncovered.

I also haul-out every two, or even three, years with a diver cleaning and checking anodes in-between.

On the decks the less you do the better. To clean use a 3M pad rubbing across the grain and some diluted detergent.

Ideally you will want to throw salt water on to the decks after it rains but that would be a lot of work in wet Washington until you get your covered mooring.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom