Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
105420447_1443567409170617_2956099211310436343_n.jpg

Looks like an old lifeboat hull.

Safer than the other duck boats. They have a dismal track record.
Hello duck season.

It appears the aft end of the house is totally open and non-water tight.
I wonder if the CG had a look at it.

Sea Crust

Sea Crust was spotted in West Sound Marina on Orcas Island in the San Juans.

I'm calling it a sailboat to trawler conversion. I gotta give him credit for creativity if not for execution.

Attachments

• Sea Crust curves resize.jpg
    Sea Crust curves resize.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 63
Hope he likes walking on bulkheads.

Despite it being my favorite thing beyond anchors, that being a sailboat conversion.
First thing I’d need to know is all about the keel. W/O the mast this boat will probably be rolling one way or another all or most all the time. And if she gets beam waves in sync w her natural roll period ..... one deck awash and just after .. the other.

But w the right fish she’d be just wading through 10’ seas.

She look a bit weathered so knowledge of her motion are probably well known.

Oh but hats off for Portage Bay for posting a genuinely interesting boat. Most are just an overt expression of the power of the dollar. Or again big or “to die for”.

Last edited:
Despite it being my favorite thing beyond anchors, that being a sailboat conversion.
First thing I’d need to know is all about the keel. W/O the mast this boat will probably be rolling one way or another all or most all the time. And if she gets beam waves in sync w her natural roll period ..... one deck awash and just after .. the other.

But w the right fish she’d be just wading through 10’ seas.

She look a bit weathered so knowledge of her motion are probably well known.

Oh but hats off for Portage Bay for posting a genuinely interesting boat. Most are just an overt expression of the power of the dollar. Or again big or “to die for”.

Well what's interesting to you may not be to others. For instance the boat your fawning over is completely irrelevant to me and a cursory glance was all I gave it. I find the custom trawlers interesting, sometimes they have big prices.

There is no perfect boat, just one with the least amount of compromises for the owner.

And some men wonder why boats are often named after women.

HOLLYWOOD

And, most females don't wonder why men often name boats after women. They know exactly why! :rofl:

How many times have you heard a boat referred to as him or he... she or her is clear explicative for most boats' souls. :popcorn:

Last edited:
boatruptcy wrote;
“ Well what's interesting to you may not be to others. For instance the boat your fawning over is completely irrelevant to me and a cursory glance was all I gave it.”

Interesting is interesting. If it’s ordinary like a production Nordhavn it’s not interesting. Perhaps people that find just megabuck boats across the board Interesting aren’t interesting themselves.
And the criticism that I expressed about that conversion clearly isn’t “fawning”.

Last edited:
Never name your boat after an old girlfriend. LOL

Well what's interesting to you may not be to others. For instance the boat your fawning over is completely irrelevant to me and a cursory glance was all I gave it. I find the custom trawlers interesting, sometimes they have big prices.

Lighten up. He didn't say he liked the boat but rather and interesting conversion.

boatruptcy wrote;
“ Well what's interesting to you may not be to others. For instance the boat your fawning over is completely irrelevant to me and a cursory glance was all I gave it.”

Interesting is interesting. If it’s ordinary like a production Nordhavn it’s not interesting. Perhaps people that find just megabuck boats across the board Interesting aren’t interesting themselves.
And the criticism that I expressed about that conversion clearly isn’t “fawning”.

Thanks for telling me what's interesting to me, I could literally care less about that cobbled together mess, nothing interesting about it to me, but I didn't crap on it like you did regarding other posts. Haven't seen a production model on this thread in a long time. Unsubscribe if you don't like the boats that come up here.

Last edited:
Well now, my #8975 stirred up some dust. Here's another we spotted at West Sound Marina. An absolutely beautiful conversion from a commercial fishing boat to a recreational trawler.

Built by Fred Wahl in 1963. Those who know west cost working timber boats will know the Wahl name. She was converted to recreational use by a Vancouver BC shipyard owner. She has a rebuilt Gardener Diesel for power. The conversation took 17 yrs to complete. She may not be your cup of tea but to my eye she's a work of art. From Wahl's original construction to her conversion.

I don't have any pics. I was too busy chatting the owner up. Here's a link to an old listing before he bought her.

http://www.agboats.com/forsale/sandavore

A nice "Classic" Lady !

Ok, ok, I said We are looking for a boat shorter, with less draft, air draft, beam, weight :whistling:
But she is so Classic than I:smitten:

May be not enough draft for the high, a good "rolling boat" but
"L'amour rend aveugle" :angel:

Attachments

• Classic - 1.JPG
    Classic - 1.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:

Attachments

• B014BB43-8C0C-47AF-889E-7159EFD41D6E.jpeg
    B014BB43-8C0C-47AF-889E-7159EFD41D6E.jpeg
    40.5 KB · Views: 86
This is a Dutch Yacht beginning her maiden voyage from Holland to Norway. She’s 203’
Wish I had more info to share but not there.

Attachments

• CFEB8DA8-8DC3-4DC5-88FB-F21A352B8FD4.jpeg
    CFEB8DA8-8DC3-4DC5-88FB-F21A352B8FD4.jpeg
    60.4 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Last edited:
Not sure if this one has been posted, but we were docked next to this yacht a couple weeks ago in Friday Harbor. Lady Bahi, was originally called Bread and built for a very successful baker.

Attachments

• D8F49A51-F521-46B3-8A12-E0613F490BBC.jpg
    D8F49A51-F521-46B3-8A12-E0613F490BBC.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 71
  • 1E7CACF3-15CA-460E-84D7-0195A1BAD129.jpg
    1E7CACF3-15CA-460E-84D7-0195A1BAD129.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 63
Not sure if this one has been posted, but we were docked next to this yacht a couple weeks ago in Friday Harbor. Lady Bahi, was originally called Bread and built for a very successful baker.

We saw that thing in Friday Harbor last summer.. it is all sorts of ugly in person. Strange thing was the hull was not very fair and with the dark color it looked pretty crappy.
Looked like it was designed by committee
HOLLYWOOD

Thank you rochepoint,
Didn’t think of electric. I prefer engines. Interestingly they called the motors engines .......

Oh I get it. I thought she was electric because her engines power was expressed in “kw”. I saw this on FB and figured out how to snatch the picture. My Wi-Fi skills are limited but I get by. Should figure out “face time” phone calls as I may need that to talk to my doctor.

I’ve always liked the plumb bow. Not the axe bow. Yes Nickair the plumb bow and newer sterns are usually in the quest for the effects of WLL. Dosn’t seem that narrow is coming back though. That would have a much greater effect on fuel burn economy.

The ship in lwarden's post reminded me of a ship we encountered not long ago:

Dannebrog, the Danish royal yacht.

Once we finished mooring at Sønderberg, in Denmark a couple of years ago, the Queen of Denmark apparently learned we were there and decided to join us ;-)

It’s a really impressive, vintage ship…and it's amazing to be able to see it up close (from the exterior only). The queen uses this ship to visit miscellaneous royal castles around Denmark during the summer months every year.

For most of the year, the ship is anchored near the entrance of Copenhagen's harbor, which is only about 12 miles from our home port in Sweden.

You can read more about it, including technical facts here:
The Royal Yacht Dannebrog | The Danish Monarchy - Front Page
(Thankfully, in English)

Attachments

• DA1.jpg
    DA1.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 61
  • DA2.jpg
    DA2.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 56
  • DA3.jpg
    DA3.jpg