Block Island a good side trip?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jefndeb

Guru
Vessel Name
Indigo Star
Vessel Make
2006 Mainship 400
As part of our planning for our trip north this year I was wondering if anybody can offer go vs no-go to Block Island?
We have relatives on Fishers Island and will probably stop there again this year and was just looking to see if that location was a nice stop over on the way to the canal.

Thanks for your suggestions....Jeff

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-11 102337.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-11 102337.png
    53.7 KB · Views: 29
Block Island is a fun stop as long as you don't do it in the peak of the summer season. Call for a mooring or anchor but watch out for the mooring field and the northern restricted area. The officials pay attention. The town has a dinghy dock and it is just a short walk to downtown.

A nice stopover on the way to the canal.... depends.
It's better than Point Judith of course, but as suggested above it's an absolute nuthouse between 4th and labor day. To some that may be a welcome change after the quiet of Fishers, but you may be a person of intact sanity.
Any other time of year I love Block, but in the High Season I'd prefer to stop in Newport.

Don't go on a weekend. Otherwise it's a nice stopover.

I have anchored in Great Salt Pond several times, behind the mooring field to the SE in 5+ ft of water. Or call the harbor master and get a mooring. We were never there for the craziness, but I am sure it gets that way on weekends and holidays.

Block Island is a must in my opinion. There is no place like it. Accept the craziness and embrace it for a couple of days/nights. Get a mudslide at Camplains or Payne's dock.

Moorings are on first come basis and cannot reserve one so arrive early (mid-morning) when folks are departing from the night before if you want one.
Can anchor in Salt Pond but middle is very deep and not good holding.
Better around the permeter to SE but watch depth as shoal up back there.
Also need to watch for clueless yahoos anchoring too close to you or leaving too little scope out and dragging down on you. Best to avoid weekends when Salt Pond tends to fill up with drunk knuckleheads.
Mid-week is nicer and less drama.
Once ashore can rent bikes and cruise the island.
Or short walk from Salt Pond to Old Harbor where most of the commecial activity exists.
Very nice place, but can be crazy on summer weekends.

there is a dinghy dock behind the Oar restaurant, but suggest taking your red emergency stop lanyard off your outboard and bring it with you so some drunk doesn't "borrow" your dinghy while you are gone.

As part of our planning for our trip north this year I was wondering if anybody can offer go vs no-go to Block Island?
We have relatives on Fishers Island and will probably stop there again this year and was just looking to see if that location was a nice stop over on the way to the canal.

Thanks for your suggestions....Jeff
Block Island is a fine destination. The old harbor is the best place to moor. Try to book a spot prior to your arrival with John the harbor master. If you're unable to do do so, you'll have to tie up to another boat who's tied up to another boat, who's tied up to another boat, etc. To access the dock you gonna have to step over all the tied up boats and the tradition is that you'll have to do a shot of whatever you're offered on every boat prior to crossing over to the next one. Chances are 50/50 that it could be a long night or a real short night. Live it and give it, that's the motto in Block Island. Cheers🍻

We loved Block Island. Took our sailboat up from NC in 2013 during the summer. It was a bit of a madhouse getting a mooring. There are some transient moorings that are first come/first serve. There were others that were long term rentals that were available to transients if the tenants weren't going to be using them. As I recall, at the time you couldn't get one of those moorings until about 4 PM. You had to call the harbor master's office, and they would assign you a mooring at that time if the tenant had let them know they weren't going to be using it that night. We were witnesses to someone grabbing one of the privately rented moorings on their own, then the mooring's official tenant arrived at 9 or so at night and the boat on that mooring had to get off. Also, the moorings are a bit different that some others. As the official "mooring catcher", I remember having a hard time catching it the first time because it was different than I was used to and the wind was blowing us off. But Block Island was fun. We rented bikes and rode around. Also bought a sweatshirt because my husband wouldn't believe me when I told my husband that he needed long jeans and a jacket or sweatshirt in New England. His response was, "No, I won't! It's July!"

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom