Shroud cleat for flag halyard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Shuttle Tydirium
Vessel Make
1979/80 HipTimCo 40
Howdy again ya'll.

As some of us have davit/radar masts on our trawlers...

Query: What is the proper way to make fast one's flag halyard to a shroud cleat? My boat's flag halyards were already rotted and gone when I bought her. The cleats are on the shrouds and they still seem like the best place to run the flag halyards, but I don't understand how those cleats are intended to be used. They have an eye on the upper cleat horn. Do I tie off to the eye then run the halyard up through the tiny block, then back down to the cleat? Then what? Can't wrap the bitter end around the cleat because the other end is already tied to the eye... ? Such an absurdly simple thing and I just can't seem to picture it. Granted, I can totally make just anything work, but I want to learn to do it as intended.

Thanks for whatever help you can offer.

Sam (Shuttle Tydirium)

Here’s the way I use those.
I make my halyard in a loop through the little block. Then just use the cleat as normal but with the line doubled.
I always used the hole in the cleat for a quick attachment point for storing sail halyards by their shackles.

I believe that the top hole is to be used for the halyard to run thru to keep it from flying away if let it loose. Run a line thru the block on the spreader, one end thru the loop, and tie together. You can raise and lower it thru the loop and cleat it.

Back
Top Bottom