Collision and demasting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It has to do with the Market Value, which is not the Agreed Value.
I understand that, but is it your choice to buy back or are they saying here is the money and keep the boat. Cause it is not cheap disposing a boat.

If you net the agreed value and they take the boat away may be the best financial & emotional option.

I get the money and keep the boat. I plan to just sell it cheap. It is usable just as is

I think I will list it somewhere around $15-20k. The boat is fully useable right now as a fuel efficient power boat and is pretty comfortable. I bet I myself could do the fiberglass work in a week (probably couldn't match the gelcoat color good)

I feel like I'm missing something. If you can get your agreed upon hull value from the insurance company, and the unrepaired boat, which you could list "as is" for $15-20K, why wouldn't you try that? I understand if the emotional toll outweighs trying to sell "as is", but seems to me if you ultimately took a low ball offer for $10k, that's still $10k. Hope I haven't misunderstood your potential options.

Don, you posted as I was obviously typing my agreement.

Sure does not sound like much hull damage. I know nothing about sail rigging costs so there is that. Can you post pictures of the damage?

Can you post pictures of the damage?

I guess, but unless someone is interested in the boat it seems meaningless. But what the heck

Attachments

• 20240131_144448.jpg
    20240131_144448.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 36
  • 20240131_144528.jpg
    20240131_144528.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 29
  • 20240131_144254.jpg
    20240131_144254.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 29
That looks like a more reasonable repair than I was imagining. I don't know how quickly it'll sell, but if a rig can be obtained reasonably, I'd expect someone will want the boat.

Agree.
That looks minor to me, but would need to see what happend below in those locations.

Agree.
That looks minor to me, but would need to see what happend below in those locations.

The hard head liner below has a couple of cracks. Nothing structural and if it was my money I would just sand smooth and put some epoxy on it to seal. It takes contortion to seen so why even worry about it.

We hit the FV a glancing blow for about 3' of boat length and it is probably at the strongest point of the whole boat. There is a bulkhead down below right at where the crack it so that reinforced it that way. And topsides there is the 2" diameter SS aft arch bridge that is bolted to the deck and goes all the across to the other side.

Turns out our boat is freakin TOUGH!

The hard head liner below has a couple of cracks. Nothing structural and if it was my money I would just sand smooth and put some epoxy on it to seal. It takes contortion to seen so why even worry about it.

We hit the FV a glancing blow for about 3' of boat length and it is probably at the strongest point of the whole boat. There is a bulkhead down below right at where the crack it so that reinforced it that way. And topsides there is the 2" diameter SS aft arch bridge that is bolted to the deck and goes all the across to the other side.

Turns out our boat is freakin TOUGH!

For all the crap people give them, I've always understood that era of Hunter to have far sturdier hulls than their reputation would have you expect.

Interesting. I bet they use chopper gun next to the gelcoat to avoid print through from the matting.

For all the crap people give them, I've always understood that era of Hunter to have far sturdier hulls than their reputation would have you expect.

That is very true. A buddy of mine was a dealer in that era and he said that some models (Legend?) were well designed and well built. Much like Catalina. Some models are OK while others cross oceans.

mine is a 2001 design

the general construction method probably applies from 1995-2012 or so (at least till Marlow as I don't know if it changed)

mine is a 2001 design

the general construction method probably applies from 1995-2012 or so (at least till Marlow as I don't know if it changed)

That's my understanding, all of the boats with an arch and B&R rig are built fairly similarly. Before that era, certain models were well liked (such as the Cherubini designs and the Legend models), but there were plenty of other boats in there that earned Hunter a not-great reputation.

So my my insurance check is in the mail. Now I need to get rid of the boat so will be listing and asking $20k. Insurance says the boat repaired is worth $107k. The boat can be used on ICW/Florida/Bahamas etc as is and is a great liveaboard boat and of course was setup for extended cruising.

Put out the word to the grapevine

text me if questions at six zero three-674-6681

Don L, good luck going forward!!!

So my my insurance check is in the mail. Now I need to get rid of the boat so will be listing and asking $20k. Insurance says the boat repaired is worth $107k. The boat can be used on ICW/Florida/Bahamas etc as is and is a great liveaboard boat and of course was setup for extended cruising.

Put out the word to the grapevine

text me if questions at six zero three-674-6681

Only took me 4 days to sell the boat. Between the insurance payout, a couple of things sold separately, and the boat sale itself I got what I had expected earlier in the year for the boat.

So about 2 months from an at sea collision to being out of boating. Probably faster than I could have listed and sold the boat before collision. But I don't recommend the route.

Only took me 4 days to sell the boat. Between the insurance payout, a couple of things sold separately, and the boat sale itself I got what I had expected earlier in the year for the boat.

So about 2 months from an at sea collision to being out of boating. Probably faster than I could have listed and sold the boat before collision. But I don't recommend the route.

Nice to learn that you have had a positive outcome after a frightening incident.

Best of luck with whatever you decide for your next adventure.

Nice to learn that you have had a positive outcome after a frightening incident.

Best of luck with whatever you decide for your next adventure.

It does look like all's well that ends well, and they have a hell of a story to boot. Now I have to go back and read all 350 post to get the complete story myself lol.

Hell of a way to get out of boating
Kinda like using the cancer diet to lose weight. Been there.

Back
Top Bottom