We got scammed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tcooke24

Vessel Name
Mi Amor
Vessel Make
2001 49ft. RPH DeFever
On Sept.19th, 2023 my wife and I contracted to have our 49ft. DeFever transported from Ensenada, Mexico to Victoria, BC. The total contract amount was $27,400. In good faith, we promptly paid the requested deposit of $6,850.

On 12/28/2023 at 5:09 pm, less than a week before the scheduled sailing, we were informed by a text a text that the contract price had increased to $38,400. An $11,000 increase. There was no explanation for this increase. This is more than we can afford and because of this large unexplained increase and our lack of confidence, we considered our contract as canceled.

We formally, in an email, requested that our deposit of $6,850 be immediately returned to us. Our deposit has not been returned and our phone calls, texts or emails have not been answered.

Update: Apparently, we are not the only boat owners to fall for this scam. On Google reviews from other victims.

Sincerely,

Tim Cooke

Last edited by a moderator:
I put my present 45' boat on a Yacht Path ship runn8ng the same route in 2005 for $12k. Yacht Path is no longer in business and had quite a bit of scandal itself, as I recall before it ceased operations. Sorry about your experience.

Wow. What a scumbag.
Because he changed the price after you paid the deposit, he is responsible for breaking the contract and therefore you are entitled to a refund. Sounds like a case for small claims court.

Unfortunately, my contact has disappeared. When I dug a little deeper I discovered the companies’ office mailing address is actually a postal box at a UPS store. Their physical address is a vacant lot out in the trees in Georgia. Google Street View can show a lot. I wish I had checked all that before sending the deposit. Hindsight is great. It is an expensive lesson. If anyone has a way to find these guys please let me know. They have scammed more people than just us. I saw one boat owner that got nicked for 50K.

Does anybody know a good attorney?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
The thread was edited and has been closed. This forum is not intended to be a mechanism for people to solely vent frustrations about vendors or sales from private parties. Please settle your differences with the seller, manufacturer and dealer through other means but not through our community. If anyone has any questions they can contact tcooke24 via pm.

Thanks for understanding. :flowers:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom