Cinderella incinerating toilets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PNK

A friend who had bought a piece of remote property with a cabin told me about a Cinderella incinerating toilet he put in to avoid having the expense of a well and a septic system. His runs off propane. I had never heard of it before, but have since found they have been around for over 25 years, are used on RV's, and, they claim, on some boats.
Anyone ever use one? Seems like avoiding issues with black water pump-outs and disposal would be a big plus, but it almost seems to good to be true!
Peter

Not sure that it would be approved for a boat. Maybe, maybe not. But if not don’t go there as it would likely invalidate your insurance. Just because someone put one in a boat doesn’t mean that your insurance company will buy off on it. It really isn’t that big of a deal dealing with pumpouts.

This might be helpful:

This may be another example of "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is."
I hadn't thought about the insurance aspect, thanks for that comment.
Also the video; they had truly horrible customer service, hard to believe they stayed with it as long as they did!
Peter

I've never heard of a Cinderella incinerating toilet before, but it sounds intriguing. The idea of avoiding the hassle and expense of a traditional well and septic system is definitely appealing. I'm curious about how efficient they are and if there are any drawbacks or maintenance issues to consider.

I've never heard of a Cinderella incinerating toilet before, but it sounds intriguing. The idea of avoiding the hassle and expense of a traditional well and septic system is definitely appealing. I'm curious about how efficient they are and if there are any drawbacks or maintenance issues to consider.
Ummm.......you may want to watch the video a couple posts up. Sounds like a truly awful product and company. The couple who did the review definitely had the ring of truth to my ears.

My son was thinking about putting one into his RV, because they like to go off-grid, so we were looking at the install instructions, and realized that for a boat, at least, it is a non-starter. Because of the incineration temperatures, the toilet requires an insulated vent which is 4" in diameter, and has to extend some distance above the "roof". Unless it was new construction and you could plan for it, I can't imagine doing that on a boat; if the head is located below, you would need to run the vent through the liner of the head, then through the saloon or pilot house, then possibly the FB....
Pumping out a tank seems much more reasonable compared to this!
Peter

Like others never heard of this company. Have heard of incinolet. They’ve been around for decades. Made in Texas but sell worldwide. Apparently do have good aftermarket service. Do know of installations on steel commercial trawlers but not recreational boats.
Problem with any of these is cycle time and electrical draw. It takes time to cycle whereas with a holding tank even with a vacuflush there’s no significant wait before it can be used again. They take a 120v connection at 20 a for the incinolet and it is electric not propane. The incinolet can vent sideways or up. Might make sense as a day head on a big boat where’s there multiple heads and venting could be done with a short run.
Could see a different format as being suitable for boats. Traditional heads dumping into a holding tank. A macerator pump empties a small measured amount into an incinerator from the holding tank on request or when holding tank reaches a certain degree of fullness. Could incinerate when genset running for another reason. Could have a setting where it would run repetitive cycles until holding tanks was empty or you turned off the genset or battery bank was depleted by a certain amount. Ash could be cleared when convenient. Incinerator could be placed where makes most sense for venting. Having a holding tank would still allow dumping when in blue water or traditional pump out if available and not inconvenient. The incinerator could also be used for grey water. Suspect in the future there will be more restrictions on dumping grey water when coastal or on protected waters.

Last edited:
As Hippo notes
Problem with any of these is cycle time
We had an incinolet at a family beach lot, no water, sewage or septic impossible. All fine and dandy with one or two people. With more the cycle time was a big issue. And, despite their claims, they are not maintenance free. Then there is the instruction in use required for unfamiliar guests. I'd never use an incinerating toilet again unless it is the only option.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom