Will it be too late to leave Maine?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From New Jersey south Fuel is available...but call ahead and make sure.

Use Waterway Guide Fuel List to check places for the best price as they can be substantially different. Then call and check hours as they may or not be open on arrival but may or may not come in for substantial fuel sale. Plus there are places all the way that serve commercial guys so it's not a big deal but I cant speak for Maine to NJ.

Pumpouts are few and far between in many areas anyhow. Places likely to have liveaboards some wheres nearby will have pumpouts...you may have to go out of your way though...and call ahead as they could be shut down for the cold.

So you can see the advice is mixed...traveling that time of year has challenges, but not show stoppers. I did it and lots of others have too.

Diesel will be limited. Many places will be closed, with the exception of the few fuel docks that cater to fishing boats. Some of those places operate on limited hours (closed on weekends and limited weekday hours) or you need to call them ahead of time.

Water will be limited as most docks in the North East will have been winterized.

Most marinas that cater to transient boats will be closed.

Pump out boats will not be running. Pump out facilities will be limited. They get winterized with the water once things start to get cold.

Diesel won't be a problem to get, just short days. Water will be a problem. Pump outs as well, but not an issue if you're running outside.

Again, can't speak for north of Jersey....

But headed south from there, even if water isn't available on the docks, it is usually available at some marinas from buildings or underground a frost free spigot.

The million dollar question is what is the OP s boat and expected capabilities and capacities.

Again, can't speak for north of Jersey....

But headed south from there, even if water isn't available on the docks, it is usually available at some marinas from buildings or underground a frost free spigot.

The million dollar question is what is the OP s boat and expected capabilities and capacities.

Even up north in the Great Lakes, there are a couple of frost-free spigots on the buildings that stay on all winter at my marina in case anyone needs water while working on a boat. Fuel dock, dock water, transient dockage, etc. are all shut down for the winter, but in an area with commercial fishing it would likely be possible to find fuel and somewhere to put the boat for a night.

A friend who has been going south for 30 years says that the winter gales are starting earlier. Maybe climate change. For over 40 years the boats that went down from New England to be exhibited at the Annapolis boat show on Columbus Day used to have no problem in mid October. But in the last few years they've arrived at the show with seasick crews and damage.

I went south two years ago leaving on October 2 from Portsmouth RI. I had a good weather window but things still fell apart by Atlantic City. Had to wait there a day as it gusted over 40kt. The next morning still had a 30 knot NW wind but since it was right off the shore I hugged the shore and was fine. I didn't have my wife aboard but a young rugged friend so we went all night to beat the next front. We turned into Norfolk with less than 6 hours before the next gale. It was a bit scary.

A friend at the same marina was waiting on some parts delivery. He was ready to go by October 15 but by then the winter gales had started. The New Jersey shore is among the roughest places there is on the East Coast in a NE blow. Unbelievably, he didn't get a weather window to leave until after December 15.

He now says that he wouldn't do it again unless he could leave by October 1.

Last edited:
We've headed south from the Chesapeake mid November and experienced cold until we got to south Florida. In some instances, we've had frost & ice on deck. Bring warm clothes, blankets, and a heat source.

A friend who has been going south for 30 years says that the winter gales are starting earlier. Maybe climate change. For over 40 years the boats that went down from New England to be exhibited at the Annapolis boat show on Columbus Day used to have no problem in mid October. But in the last few years they've arrived at the show with seasick crews and damage.

I went south two years ago leaving on October 2 from Portsmouth RI. I had a good weather window but things still fell apart by Atlantic City. Had to wait there a day as it gusted over 40kt. The next morning still had a 30 knot NW wind but since it was right off the shore I hugged the shore and was fine. I didn't have my wife aboard but a young rugged friend so we went all night to beat the next front. We turned into Norfolk with less than 6 hours before the next gale. It was a bit scary.

A friend at the same marina was waiting on some parts delivery. He was ready to go by October 15 but by then the winter gales had started. The New Jersey shore is among the roughest places there is on the East Coast in a NE blow. Unbelievably, he didn't get a weather window to leave until after December 15.

He now says that he wouldn't do it again unless he could leave by October 1.

I agree. I boat in and around Narragansett Bay as well. While I haven't had the privilege of moving south for the winter yet, I have noticed that Columbus Day weekend weather has gone down hill over the last 5-6 years. Prior to that it was often a lovely, sunny 3 days here in the NE. Last few years we've cruised locally and endured cold, cloudy, and sometimes downright stormy weather. Hoping it's simply cyclical but something we've definitely noticed.

It's even worse that the OP is starting from Maine. I've cruised many times in Maine and spent winters there ashore. Winter clamps down much earlier in Maine than Rhode Island. By the 2nd half of November the water will be turned off on the docks There will still be boats at the dock but people aren't going out except for an occasional warm day.

It would be a miserable and hazardous trip to leave in mid November.

One option would be to hire a delivery crew to get the boat to Cape May - or better Norfolk - in October. Better than having your wife refuse to ever go South again.

And as suggested, it gets surprisingly cold quite far south. We had the boat in Hilton Head one winter. They turned off the water on the dock to keep the pipes from freezing from Jan 1 - Feb 15. All the dockside restaurants were closed.

Try to leave Maine next year by September 1 and be to Norfolk before October 1. St. Augustine by December 15. That lets you set a reasonable ICW pace of 100 miles every three days (50 miles each day for two days and a day off to rest and provision). Then plan a couple of full weeks to enjoy one of the better stops (harleston is my favorite) That's what I do.

Last edited:
Freeze-ups in November?? NONSENSE guys, common. It will be 40 degrees as a minimum, mostly 50 and 60 during day with a dip down to 30 one day "maybe". And remember, the water temp will still be in the 50's or 60's, and your hull is sitting in the water being kept warm by the water on those few cold days. I keep my boat in the water until the first or second week in DECEMBER every year for the last 30 years, and never had any issues what-soever. And one year about 5 years ago I had 12" of snow on it. The water was still 50. It takes allot more to freeze things in your engine room than most people think. Not to mention a $50 engine room heater (ignition protected!) will keep it toasty when at the dock.

The ONLY thing I would be worried about is the weather/sea's/wind. Just pick your days to make each run. The other thing would be the intermediate buoys start to get removed, so make sure you have good charts/ route plans...

Good luck.

birdman....while I agree that parts of the trip may meet what you posted... some may not.

What region are you discussing?

Last edited:
I'm on Long Island....

OK...but some places nearby have iced up in Dec.

A few years back, I almost got iced in in Baltimore Inner Harbor. As it was, I chipped all the antiquing off the bow of my boat.

If I had stayed closer to the main channel, yes, not an issue.

But something that always needs to be watched at that time of year....each year is different and a mile or two of salinity can ruin your day.

Another option to consider.

Could you possibly hire a Captain to transport your boat part way, say Norfolk, Va and you take it the rest of the way when able to finish the journey? It would be less risky and worth the expense.

Late Season South

My two cents. Home port for me was Norwalk, Ct for many years. Have summer cruised to Maine. Have made the trip South a dozen or more times, usually in October but a cple times Nov. and twice Dec.

I believe the trip is doable, and enjoyable with a couple of caveats. From Maine to Long Island Sound you will have to pick your weather windows.
Long island Sound can be nasty but not dangerous like a gale in the open ocean.

From Atlantic Highlands, pick a good weather day and make the run to Atlantic City--rough 90 miles. I have done it in a sunny below freezing day with a flat sea. It is another 50 miles offshore to Cape May. The Intracoastal runs to Cape May but check depths carefully.

At Cape May you transit the Canal to Delaware Bay. This is a must favorable weather window only. The Bay can be deadly with short steep seas.
Chesapeake Bay is safe run in anything but a gale. Many historic towns worth visiting starting with Annapolis. Cruise to Norfolk at your own pace. From Norfolk to Fl you don't have any open ocean passages. Some of the Sounds can be uncomfortable but not life threatening. In December mornings can be cold but are comfortable by mid-day.+-
Bottom line. As recommended above, get Inside Long island Sound if you can before December. If not hop down the coast as weather permits. Water temp will be well above freezing so don't worry about fresh water tankage freezing. The reverse cycle will be marginal until in NC. But a couple of electric heaters will keep you toasty. I knew a pro delivery captain who would always drive from the flybridge but with a hair dryer stuck down the leg of his foulies! LOL. True.
Oliver
South Lady GB 42 Woodie

My two cents. Home port for me was Norwalk, Ct for many years. Have summer cruised to Maine. Have made the trip South a dozen or more times, usually in October but a cple times Nov. and twice Dec.

I believe the trip is doable, and enjoyable with a couple of caveats. From Maine to Long Island Sound you will have to pick your weather windows.
Long island Sound can be nasty but not dangerous like a gale in the open ocean.

From Atlantic Highlands, pick a good weather day and make the run to Atlantic City--rough 90 miles. I have done it in a sunny below freezing day with a flat sea. It is another 50 miles offshore to Cape May. The Intracoastal runs to Cape May but check depths carefully.

At Cape May you transit the Canal to Delaware Bay. This is a must favorable weather window only. The Bay can be deadly with short steep seas.
Chesapeake Bay is safe run in anything but a gale. Many historic towns worth visiting starting with Annapolis. Cruise to Norfolk at your own pace. From Norfolk to Fl you don't have any open ocean passages. Some of the Sounds can be uncomfortable but not life threatening. In December mornings can be cold but are comfortable by mid-day.+-
Bottom line. As recommended above, get Inside Long island Sound if you can before December. If not hop down the coast as weather permits. Water temp will be well above freezing so don't worry about fresh water tankage freezing. The reverse cycle will be marginal until in NC. But a couple of electric heaters will keep you toasty. I knew a pro delivery captain who would always drive from the flybridge but with a hair dryer stuck down the leg of his foulies! LOL. True.
Oliver
South Lady GB 42 Woodie

All good advice. Nothing to add except to note that Atlantic City to Cape May anchorage is only 40 miles, so a bit shorter.

Last edited:
According to the "Distance Between U.S,. Ports, 13th Edition (2019) the distance between Atlantic City and Cape May is 47 NM.

Sea buoy to sea buoy or downtown to downtown?

I once ran a 52' sportfish from RI south in mid nov. Got boat all provisioned and readied and sat several days for a weather window. Bad weather lingered and lingered, finally we said F-it and left anyway. Too rough to plane out, so ran about 9kt. Crew of three. Could not sleep in the bunks as you would get chucked out. I made a nest of oil-zorb pads between the engines (least motion anywhere on the boat) and slept there with ear muffs on.

Actually read the whole book "A Perfect Storm" in the engine room.

No issue with things freezing, just lingering wind. Really hard freezes not common til Jan.

Crap shoot with the weather. Can be really nice, can really suck.

According to the "Distance Between U.S,. Ports, 13th Edition (2019) the distance between Atlantic City and Cape May is 47 NM.

My Navionics route shows 39.9 statute miles from the Atlantic City inlet to the Cape May anchorage by the Coast Guard Station. It also shows 126 statute miles from Sandy Hook anchorage to Cape May anchorage.

Last edited:
Longest nonstop run I’ve ever done was from Cape May to Atlantic Highlands in the Spring when the days were getting longer. Traveled at 10 Kts.

This reply may be a bit late. We just made the run NORTH from Kent Island, MD, to Camden, ME, bringing our "new" Californian 48 up. For the most part, weather was great for the 8-day trip (a bit of fog on two days and moderate winds the last two days). One issue we ran into was in Scituate, MA, where the floats had been pulled up at all the marinas. About half the town dock had been pulled, but the main float was still there. So we tied up there and didn't have to pay anything. In Portland, space was also at a premium due to the boats having moved south and dealer boats being put in their place.

I presume that won't be a problem the farther south you go, but it may be a problem in the north. Plan in advance and be ready to drop the hook.

Back
Top Bottom