What motor is in my Albin 25 i just bought

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bruceboating

Veteran Member
[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• 472F38E9-1FD8-480B-8BAF-83CC3E9046A4.jpeg
    472F38E9-1FD8-480B-8BAF-83CC3E9046A4.jpeg
    76 KB · Views: 39
  • 91AB4E18-E535-407F-A243-F6F9BBA3C784.jpeg
    91AB4E18-E535-407F-A243-F6F9BBA3C784.jpeg
    88.8 KB · Views: 33
Congrats on your new boat. I am not familiar with the engine.

Is that a Hino 3 cylinder diesel..?

Looks old.
If I had to guess ....
I’d say Isuzu.

Albin 25’s usually have sailboat engines.
I had a 3cyl Yanmar in my Albin25. 34.5hp.

I think over half of the original Volvo’s have been replaced. Many to most were seawater cooled.

Last edited:
I'm no expert, but early Albin 25's had a 20-hp diesel that was made specifically for (by?) Albin. I think after that they went to mostly Volvos. Since the Volvos were green, as I remember it, I'm thinking the Albin 20hp might have been blue?

Is your boat from the early 70's? Early ones would have the fairly rounded chine aft; whereas later ones (mid-70's?) would have that same area slightly squared off (harder chines). They did that when they started putting in the bigger engines (for definitions of bigger that include numbers like 36hp and up).

Its a Albin 25 1970 Hull #457 Motor was blown and i was told original motor was replaced The boat was sold by his daughter to me after he passed..

Front of the crank looks like a Kubota. Scrape the paint next to where the injection pump seats on the engine block. If a Kubota the engine model will start with a D for three cyl, followed by the model number. Like D950 or D1105 or whatever.

Greetings,
Mr. B. Is there a serial # on the engine or a transmission plate? Specific transmissions may have been mated to specific engines. Just a WAG....

I dont have the boat here yet but i just watched a video Of a 3 cyl perkins marine engine..... looked pretty close not sure...

I will be looking closer when i get it home Want to my engine... power cruise speed maintenance Fuel consumption ect....

Frosty,
How do you know so much about A25’s ?
My first trawler was an Albin25 and I was active in the Albineers of BC.

I actually went 7-8 knots in the Albin days. Went 8.5 knots at 2700rpm all the way to Juneau. Hummed right along. I suspect that you didn’t actually have one as you didn’t say anything about the Albin “snap roll”.

Bruce,
Most Albineers cruise between 6 and 7 knots. Fuel burn 1/2hph to one gph. The 27hp 3cyl Yanmar is probably the most common engine. I think I was the only one going over 8 knots. As a whole they thought going over 6 knots was an act of a different and weird religion.

Last edited:
Been studying Albin 25s for a while I like the way there built No wood covered in fiberglass in general at good longlasting boat and the fact you can trailer them is a plus with me....

Back
Top Bottom