Taking delivery of my 38E in coming days -- pick your brains!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TrawlerGreg

Vessel Name
We Are!
Vessel Make
Helmsman 38E Pilothouse
Hello -
Well the time has come for We Are! (our 38E Pilothouse) to splash in Charleston, SC (home port will be New Rochelle, NY along Long Island Sound).
Alison and I are beyond excited and I'll be sure to share photos, insights and video along the way as this forum was invaluable to us in our journey.

Build highlights:
White hull with narrow mid-hull stripe (blue)
380HP Cummins
DMS MagnusMaster
Generator (for our travels up / down the East Coast and Bahamas!)
Radar arch on flybridge
U-shape settee /dining table on flybridge
Starboard side helm on flybridge
Reverse oil change system
Watermaker
Washer/Dryer
Ice maker
Foldable cockpit table
Induction cooktop
Garmin electronics + Starlink
Highfield 310 dingy w/ 20HP Tohatsu

A few questions as we begin to outfit We Are! and thank you in advance (all these threads have been so helpful).

1.Drop down TV cabinet in salon: what's the forum think on brand, mounting hardware - things you wish you knew?
2. Comfortable chair in salon: favorite brand(s)? Lessons learned..
3. Flybridge: we elected for Seawise Davit so we can maximize flybridge for gatherings. Anyone have any interesting seating ideas / options that they picked up along their journeys?

Thanks, TF forum!

Last edited:
That's going to be a fine vessel. Congratulation!

Re your salon chair, one thing we have learned is the importance of having seating height high enough so you can see the horizon/shoreline through the windows. We have encountered a lot of seating where you can't see the gorgeous view out the windows. The window height is also a factor, so you may not be able to have good visibility, but it's well worth trying.

My TV setup mimics my home setup, all run through an Apple TV box. Bought one for the boat and it automatically recreated all my screens from home. Added a Samsung soundbar with a Bluetooth subwoofer that sits unobtrusively on the floor in the corner. Makes watching Formula 1 races really easy.

Also have google Chromecast just in case I need to stream from my phone.

As far as salon lounge chair, went with a Stressless model based on last years Helmsman rendezvous. Funny thing is it’s still in our living room at home. The wife loves it…

Best of luck with the new castle on water. We love ours…

We just bought these inflatable chairs from Bote for our flybridge. Haven’t received them yet.

Last edited:
Congratulations

TV: have to buy it but plan to get a Roku TV to eliminate another box. Roku is integrated into the TV and uses less power than most others.
I’ll size it to leave room for a small soundbar, and dimensions will weigh heavily on the choice since there is a hard limit on size of TV + soundbar.

We went with a 40” Vizio smart TV in the salon. It has Apple AirPlay built in and has all the streaming apps we use at home. We had the optical audio output wired to our Garmin Fusion sound system. Some channels’ audio output gets garbled on the Fusion and we revert to the built in TV speakers. Use a low profile fixed TV mount. The stateroom TV mount will only take a 24” set. We run both TVs with WiFi from StarLink.

We went with a Stressless lounge chair with a separate Ottoman. The Ottoman gets used as an extra chair at the settee when we have company.

We kept the upper deck clear too. We found some great zero-gravity folding lounge chairs at Costco that we bungee to the back of the settee when not in use.

We just bought these inflatable chairs from Bote for our flybridge. Haven’t received them yet.

These looks nice, curious what your thoughts are after you get them!

We love these. They can be used as chairs or full recliners. They fold up very compactly and have held up very well.

Attachments

• IMG_1264.jpeg
    IMG_1264.jpeg
    92.3 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0654.jpeg
    IMG_0654.jpeg
    181.5 KB · Views: 34
We love these. They can be used as chairs or full recliners. They fold up very compactly and have held up very well.
Those looks good, I remember these when we visited you at last year's rendezvous. Thanks for the reminder...

TrawlerGreg, Congratulations on your well-outfitted 38E! You will enjoy cruising in comfort!
We (Helmsman) added fold down seats on the aft facing side of the FB settee. A really great idea for additional seating!

Attachments

• thumbnail_177780837aa6d44e1f6eb97af91d964b.png
    thumbnail_177780837aa6d44e1f6eb97af91d964b.png
    402.7 KB · Views: 30
Hello -
Well the time has come for We Are! (our 38E Pilothouse) to splash in Charleston, SC (home port will be New Rochelle, NY along Long Island Sound).
Alison and I are beyond excited and I'll be sure to share photos, insights and video along the way as this forum was invaluable to us in our journey.

Build highlights:
380HP Cummins
DMS MagnusMaster
Radar arch on flybridge
Watermaker
Washer/Dryer
Ice maker
Foldable cockpit table
Induction cooktop

A few questions as we begin to outfit We Are! and thank you in advance (all these threads have been so helpful).

1.Drop down TV cabinet in salon: what's the forum think on brand, mounting hardware - things you wish you knew?
3. Flybridge: we elected for Seawise Davit so we can maximize flybridge for gatherings. Anyone have any interesting seating ideas / options that they picked up along their journeys?

Thanks, TF forum!
Post a pic of the exterior when she arrives. I would like a look at the stripe. Really like them on the 43’s.

1) With the TV, low profile is important along with a low profile mount. We have a 36” screen that works for us, using a Firestick, connected to the boat network created by a Pepwave BR1 Pro 5g router.
2) I can’t remember the brand of salon chair, but will look. Super comfortable and fits perfectly. We also have two Ottomans under the table in the salon.
3) After seeing Doug’s chairs for the Flybridge I may get a couple of those. They look comfortable!

Where is your washer/dryer?
They are on the starboard side of the lower deck. Here's a render for the washer/dryer compartment, with a view aft. Measurements in mm. The compartment is the first door to starboard at the base of the steps down to the lower deck. Also shown in the render is the small access hatch to the ER, to the right of the washer (down)/dryer (up) cabinets. The washer dryer make is Splendide. A storage cabinet with shelf and hanging rail are along the hull, as shown. The render distorts the space a bit, which is 4.3 ft square. Again, this a collaborative design by myself and Helmsman.

Attachments

• Washer Dryer Room Render 2.png
    Washer Dryer Room Render 2.png
    512 KB · Views: 34
I should have made it clearer that, unlike the 43 and the 38, which has the day head off the salon, the 46 day head is below, in the lower deck. When we had the 38 we found the day head off the salon was a useful and convenient location, since you didn't have to go 'far' to use it. Using the 46 day head means a few extra minutes for a round trip to the day head from the salon or PH. We'll appreciate the little exercise!! Here's the configuration of the lower deck.

Attachments

• Lower Deck 46.png
    Lower Deck 46.png
    216.6 KB · Views: 34
Hello -

Build highlights:
380HP Cummins
DMS MagnusMaster
Radar arch on flybridge
Watermaker
Washer/Dryer
Ice maker
Foldable cockpit table
Induction cooktop

Thanks, TF forum!
Congrats - we have a similarly equipped 43 on order (43048). We too will be installing a Magnus Master. Did the factory do the hull reinforcement for you? Will you have the MM installed locally? Where will the unit be installed within the hull? Thx

KMAL, I'll butt in here. For our MM2R, the hull reinforcements are being done at the Helmsman factory in Fouzou, China, and the rotors installed at the CSR yard in Seattle-Lake Union WA.

Thx - that is what we are doing as well.

Where is your washer/dryer?
Hi there,
My washer / dryer unit will be located in the day head, specifically in the hatch connecting the day head and the engine room.. it is a redundant access point and typically the location on the 38E for the combo unit! Can't wait to step aboard with two towels, two pairs of shorts and some t-shirts.. that's it!

Congrats - we have a similarly equipped 43 on order (43048). We too will be installing a Magnus Master. Did the factory do the hull reinforcement for you? Will you have the MM installed locally? Where will the unit be installed within the hull? Thx
Hello - yes, the yard created the foundation for the DMS MagnusMaster, think I may have been the first, not sure on that though. I take delivery next week and after electronics installation and commissioning we'll take it to Zimmerman Marine's Holden Beach, NC location which is about 100 miles north from Charleston. The single rotor will be located on the starboard side near the fuel manifold / toolbox ... I believe that is the location since I have several other components on my build taking space (generator, water maker, etc).

I'll be sure to take video, photos etc to share with everyone!

Post a pic of the exterior when she arrives. I would like a look at the stripe. Really like them on the 43’s.

1) With the TV, low profile is important along with a low profile mount. We have a 36” screen that works for us, using a Firestick, connected to the boat network created by a Pepwave BR1 Pro 5g router.
2) I can’t remember the brand of salon chair, but will look. Super comfortable and fits perfectly. We also have two Ottomans under the table in the salon.
3) After seeing Doug’s chairs for the Flybridge I may get a couple of those. They look comfortable!
Here's a photo as it was getting positioned for departure.. have so many more, but will wait for photos after it splashes next week...

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-29 at 7.43.33 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-29 at 7.43.33 PM.png
    833.3 KB · Views: 39
Hello - yes, the yard created the foundation for the DMS MagnusMaster, think I may have been the first, not sure on that though. I take delivery next week and after electronics installation and commissioning we'll take it to Zimmerman Marine's Holden Beach, NC location which is about 100 miles north from Charleston. The single rotor will be located on the starboard side near the fuel manifold / toolbox ... I believe that is the location since I have several other components on my build taking space (generator, water maker, etc).

I'll be sure to take video, photos etc to share with everyone!
Looking forward to seeing and hearing about the whole process Greg. Our 43046 is scheduled around January in Charleston with H2O maker, Magnus Master, Genny. Interesting that you will be having the MM install at Zimmerman in Holden Beach instead of Zimmerman in Charleston. Our home port is near Holden Beach so please feel free to reach out if you need anything and Thanx for going first so it will hopefully be easier for us to follow.

Zimmerman had asked if I wouldn't mind doing the Magnus install in Holden Beach, perhaps more technical expertise located there .. think (albeit unconfirmed) that this will be the location for moving forward.. again, not confirmed.

Reactions: KDT
We will be west coast for our delivery and install. The location within the hull will likely be the same as yours. I will look forward to your pic's.

Back
Top Bottom