Stuck windows on GB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JonMenig

HI all,

As part of my rehab of a 1995 GB I need to unstick 3 of the sliding windows opening into the salon. I assume the gunk that's accumulated along the tracks is holding them up.
I just want to see if there are any tricks and don't want to break the glass.

Thanks
Jon

Use a very thin putty knife to break the bond between the track and the glass.

Yes, it’s likely gunk and eau de crud that’s gumming up the works. Get a large, glass-lifting suction cup (such as https://www.harborfreight.com/4-12-in-80-lb-suction-cup-lifter-59690.html) to get some leverage to get it moving. This works well. Once loose, use old fashioned pipe cleaners and cotton swabs to clean out the tracks. Be sure to clean out the weep holes (drains) at the bottom of the tracks also. If they are clogged water can seep inside, much to the detriment of the teak trim.

When I've had really stuck windows, I've used a buddy so one person inside and one outside pushing at the same spot so you won't break a window and you're able to really lean into it for leverage/force.

Maybe get a couple of the vacuum handles that they carry glass with and use them for leverage to push and pull while using a lubricant like liquid soap in the track. Something like these.

VEVOR Glass Suction Cup, 4.7" 2 Pack 330 lbs Load Capacity, Vacuum Suction Cup with Aluminum Handle, Heavy Duty Industrial Suction Cup Lifter Tool for Glass, Granite, Tile, Metal, Wood Panel Lifting​

There’s a product sold for RV sliding windows, spray can at Ace Hardware that helps, but the cleaning is a must.

HI all,

As part of my rehab of a 1995 GB I need to unstick 3 of the sliding windows opening into the salon. I assume the gunk that's accumulated along the tracks is holding them up.
I just want to see if there are any tricks and don't want to break the glass.

Thanks
Jon
I have a GB 36 Classic 1994. The windows stick regularly -at the start of every boating season and after every dry spell. This might sound too simple, but a little warm soapy water, usually just poured into the outside track, will free them right up. Believe me, this is based on many years of GB experience.

Is there a good replacement for the fuzzy material that serves to "float" the glass pane within the track? Much of mine has wasted away.

When I've had really stuck windows, I've used a buddy so one person inside and one outside pushing at the same spot so you won't break a window and you're able to really lean into it for leverage/force.
That's the way I've done it during 25 years of GB ownership.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom