Raspberry Pi Chart Plotter Navigation Box

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dhorn

No idea if any of you would be interested but...

I've put together a nice little Pelican case with a Raspberry Pi that's running OpenCPN Chart Plotter Navigation software, thought you might like to see it.

Kind of slow and dependent upon an internet connection like Wifi right now but my prototype with an LTE cellular connection card attached seems to be working quite well.

Pack of cards is to show a bit of scale, pretty compact, anyhow, let me know your thoughts.

Take care, stay well,
Dan

Attachments

• Raspberry Pi Chart Plotter Navigation.jpg
    Raspberry Pi Chart Plotter Navigation.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 52
  • closed.jpg
    closed.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 50
  • prototype with LTE.jpg
    prototype with LTE.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 51
Interesting,

I run several Pi's on my boat and one of them is OpenCPN with GPS and AIS connections. This system is one of my backup system to Navionics. I wonder why you have made it portable? I'm guessing this might be usable on my dingy. What screen did you use?

The Brockerts

I just found it handy to have a mobile device that could not only do OpenCPN but act as a generalized internet connection. More of a brain exercise than anything to see what you could do with an LTE HAT card on a Pi for nautical purposes. :)

Dan, could you share a little more about how you put this together? Would like to follow your path... I'm using a pi to monitor and publish temps around the boat as well as the water this winter...

Dan, could you share a little more about how you put this together? Would like to follow your path... I'm using a pi to monitor and publish temps around the boat as well as the water this winter...

Yes please - I am looking for a simple stand-alone solution to run Maretron N2K software to display on an already installed monitor

Putting together the same thing. Here is my pi tower that I'm installing now
The Brockerts

Attachments

• moonstruck_PItower.jpg
    moonstruck_PItower.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 23
I picked up this HAT N2K board from Copperhill Tech the other day. Offers N2K and 0183 connections. I've put it on my todo list of things to play with on cold days.

https://copperhilltech.com/

The Brockerts

Attachments

• pi-N2K_Board.JPG
    pi-N2K_Board.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 12

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom