Potential soft spot in Flybridge area

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PocketAces

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Pocket Aces
Vessel Make
Mainship 34T '08
My boat is a 34T '08. The boat lists to port (as I gather many Mainships do). As a result, there is some pooling of water in the flybridge around the flybridge table. It rains a lot in Vancouver in winter!

I am not worried about leakage around the table (as I re-sealed this last year) but am wondering if I am headed towards getting some soft spots in the floor fibreglass and underlying supports etc. This has already been going on for about 10 years or so and thus far, no obvious sign of anything bad or visible leaks.

On the one hand, the fibreglass should be quite waterproof (since the boat lives in water!), but on the other hand there are many reports of soft spots in various places on older boats. If it is a problem is there anything to be done about it?

Hoping for some feedback/ others' experience!

Check all penetrations anywhere near the puddling. Get a small phonlic hammer and tap the area. Good, dry core will give a sharp sound. Wet core will sound dull. Not an exact science but pretty good. Test some good areas so you will learn what it should sound like. Then if there are any screws or penetrations near the puddling rebed them. Marinehowto.com has a good article about bedding. If you find wet core then you are in for some fun work or an expensive repair if you have it done. Best to keep on top of all bedding before they go south.

Thanks for the feedback. Interesting about the hammer bit... A long time ago, a guru in geotechnical engineering showed us how using a geological hammer in the side of an underground tunnel can help assess the competency of the rock precisely as you describe! The rock is strong, he said, if hammering it gives a "clangy" sound.
I have bookmarked Marinehowto.com as it seems really useful. Thanks.

My 2006 MS 34T had a low spot on the flybridge deck but on the starboard side. I was careful to keep an eye on that area for fiberglass cracks, but as long as the glass is solid I don't think water would get into the core. This was in SoCal so there weren't many days when water hung around long.

David

Hello Trawler members ! I just had survey done on 2006
MS 34T..Came back 1 foot section by table on flybridge has some moisture by the screw holes. Also by radar mast there is a 2 ft soft spot not that bad but the hammer test revealed it...
Is this a deal breaker ? Or do I knock off 5k ?
What if they suggest to repair using injectable deck?

I plan to keep for at least 5yrs.

Had this much to repair on my 400, cost about $8000 in US. If you like the boat ask for a concession and have it fixed. $5000 sounds like it might be enough but I don't know your particular market and how much it might cost you locally.

Attachments

• IMG_3657.jpg
    IMG_3657.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 19
Back
Top Bottom