Living in Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not sure when was your trip but currently diesel is about 1.25CAD/l what put your gallon at around 3.5USD with xchange rate. Also if you paid 50$ of duty you may have more than few ounces of liquor as you can bring in 2 bottles per person free of taxes, and usually they do not bother to fill in papers if you have 3. Finally crossing the border for groceries may be the case for people living on the border area but not a reality for most Canadians.
Don't mind me, I am not putting in question your experience, but sometimes a tourist view of a country is far from reality...

L

Greetings,
Yup. Same thought. $50 duty is way more than "a few ounces". A few bottles perhaps. Now, I've heard that IF you have numerous bottles with a bit in each bottle, that counts as a full bottle (urban legend perhaps...) 5th wheel service? Yup, not cheap.

It was as I recall four bottle with 4 to 6 ounces in each. We did not bring beer as we like the Canadian beers, but $44 dollars a 24 can case was about double south of the border. I think the rv trip was ten years ago and diesel stateside was nearing $4 a gallon. The customs lady did not seems to be having a good day, maybe that accounts for the charge or ..... She tried to confiscate the wifes African Violet plant but that wasn’t going to happen without a fight. So she backed down on the dangerous plant ! Maybe the $50 charge was for losing the African Violet war !
Lou reality for us was in a rv camp ground watching a neighbor feeding her kids mac and cheese. Later we shopped a super market and priced a box of mac and cheese at close to $4 a box about twice states pricing.
But it’s a beautiful country that we enjoyed rving and looping thru and we enjoyed meeting the people in the smaller towns we visited.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom