Headset/Communicator Recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
To the OP, yes for a lower cost option this summer we've been experimenting just using our iPhones with earphone headsets and calling each other right before docking or whatever. It actually works quite well.
The only pain was the wire dangling so for our next cruise we've invested in wireless Bluetooth headsets; they can be had from Amazon in the $35 price range with decent quality. So far they work well on land and I can let you know how it goes after we try them on the boat later this week.

I guess if truely hands free is needed, there is the above set of headsets. We just use ch 8 ("intership") on the VHF. I have one at the helm, of course, and she takes the hand-held. Not a big deal to put it down for a sec between ranging the dock and throwing/ tying the dock line. It's waterproof, bulletproof, and the reception is always good at almost any range. You probably already have a hand-held VHF for the dink!

As the saying goes, "There's more than one way to skin a cat" (what a bizarre saying), and our cat was adequately skinned for many years with hand signals, shouting, walkie-talkies, cell phones, portable VHFs, etc. Whatever works.

However, when we started using the Eartec headphones, it was a revelation. Our communication may have been adequate, but it wasn't all that good. There's nothing like conversing in a normal volume and tone of voice, in a normal manner to transfer information ("Stern is still 4 feet from the dock"), let your mate know what you're doing ("I'll spring off the breast line & back down."), give a warning ("The anchor's heavily fouled with kelp, keep her in place.") or just chat coming into an anchorage ("Look, there's Jim & Judy on OL' BLUE."). We love 'em, even though we did without them for years, I'd hate to give them up now...

Had Eartec...dropped two radios overboard...went to Sena SPH10s and love them. Work easy and I often wear them all day to answer cell phone and listen to music.

Looking for recommendations on some sort of wireless communicator/headsets to help during docking etc.

I did try the search function with limited success.

Thanks

We use the sena expand

https://www.sena.com/product/expand/

And got a pair of midland LXT500VP3 walkie talkies for fly bridge to salon comms while underway.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom