Grrrrrr.... 240 or 115v? Flip a coin.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Similarly, naval ships typically have feeds that do not use "one side earthed" conductors. Also a battle damage mitigation. You can sustain either conductor a short to hull and still have a working circuit.
Power plants and substations use ungrounded DC feeds, for a similar purpose. Control is not lost even with a stray short to ground.
Of course, all this magic comes with a price. The safety of "a" human places second after the safety of the ship/mission. And, surge voltages and other similar mayhem are exasperated with ungrounded systems.

Well crap...kinda.

I went to pick up the used AC unit today and researched the compressor a little more. While it is in fact a modified unit and is now 115v, it’s also less BTU’s than I thought. The compressor is only 12,000btu instead of the 16,500 I thought.

Since the window unit we previously used was only 8,000btu and chilled the cabin to the point of hanging meat cold, I’m hoping this will still do the trick.

The seller also gave me a box of unused 4” insulated ducting.

This is the Matsushita compressor that was installed.

Attachments

• AB6A0512-6A8C-4D70-8E85-319108E09B8B.jpg
    AB6A0512-6A8C-4D70-8E85-319108E09B8B.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 37
"Better than the alternative being pushed by Edison, which was DC current."

Times change ,needs change, since wind and solar are hard to store , the modern concept is to sell the power.

Moving big power long distance with AC is possible but expensive.

Today DC, in million volt buried cables allow long distance sales .

Seems insulation is cheaper than copper.

"Better than the alternative being pushed by Edison, which was DC current."

Times change ,needs change, since wind and solar are hard to store , the modern concept is to sell the power.

Moving big power long distance with AC is possible but expensive.

Today DC, in million volt buried cables allow long distance sales .

Seems insulation is cheaper than copper.

Yeah, Tesla would be shocked at the resurgence of DC for the really big jobs. Made possible with IGFET's and the like to turn it into AC again. I think most EHV DC is overhead, but it does go undersea, underground too. And no phase control worries on ties to other countries systems.

I have no idea what y’all are talking about... LOL
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned. I tried to quickly glance through but didn't see any, so I'm sorry if it has been mentioned.
A unit designed for 240 volts will have appropriately sized wire, as will a 110-volt unit. However, if you power a 110v unit through 240-volt wiring, you are passing nearly twice the current through the wire than it was designed to carry. This can and has melted the insulation on the wires at best and has caused many a boat fire in the worst case scenario.

And, if a human becomes the conductor in a 230V system, he/she will be exposed to double the voltage, current and 4x the power dissipation in the body, compared to 115V. :socool:

Back
Top Bottom