Got the new GX2200 installed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sabre602

Vessel Name
Kingfisher
Vessel Make
37' converted gillnetter/crabber
My old boat came with an old Standard Horizon combination plotter/VHF. It's a weatherproof unit that originally came off a Coast Guard or military RIB. It's been well used and occasionally reboots itself at random intervals. Other than that it works perfectly so I'm keeping it aboard.

Standard_20CPV350_20improve_20lr_small.jpg

Of course, that's not what I want to rely upon for my primary communications, so I added a new GX2200 upon the recommendation of a friend. At $260 after rebate, this unit is a steal with its integrated GPS and AIS receiver.

GX2200_thumb.jpg

So I got the project all done: radio mounted, two new VHF antennas...er, antennae...for both units, a new loudhailer/listenback speaker (primarily for the foghorn function) and the NMEA output connections via RS232/USB cable, which send GPS and AIS data to the laptop running Coastal Explorer.

GX2200-usb%20wiring.jpg

It all works beautifully! While testing it yesterday afternoon I even received an emergency relay from Coast Guard Station Victoria for a vessel taking on water. Wow! That alert is LOUD!

There is one small thing....

When on PA speaker listenback mode, it receives the soundtrack to a Bollywood musical. I'm not sure if that's an "issue" or an unexpected source of amusement. :rofl:

Last edited:
When on PA speaker listenback mode, it receives the soundtrack to a Bollywood musical. I'm not sure if that's an "issue" or an unexpected source of amusement. :rofl: __________________
Anson & Donna

Only try to dance to it when safely tied in your slip.

I have one too. Cool hookup for the USB.
Just out of curiosity if you change the settings for Magnetic or True does the numerical value actually change? Mine does not. The M changes to a T but the value does not change.
Oh yea, wait until you get the Weds NOAA Weather Alert alarm test. WOW!

Last edited:
I have one too. Cool hookup for the USB.
Just out of curiosity if you change the settings for Magnetic or True does the numerical value actually change? Mine does not. The M changes to a T but the value does not change.
Oh yea, wait until you get the Weds NOAA Weather Alert alarm test. WOW!

Hmm, I'll have to look at that. I just got it wired up yesterday afternoon and haven't even fully set it up yet.

Yeah, that alarm is impressive! It kept getting louder and louder, so I just let it go to see what would happen. There will be no issues with missing an alert. :eek:

I have the same vhf. Works very good. Also has alot of features. What kind of antennas did you buy?

I have the same vhf. Works very good. Also has alot of features. What kind of antennas did you buy?
Got the Shakespeare Galaxy 5225-XT, 8 foot, 6 dB. Really pleased with the performance.

About 10 years ago Practical Sailor did a test of antennas. The best they found was made by Digital Antenna. I installed one and it performed significantly better than what it replaced (Glomex?).

Good choice on the Standard Horiz. Their receivers are speced at 10dB better than Icom on Rx spurs and IM in the same market space/grade.

Back
Top Bottom