Garmin-Cummins interface

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andrewc

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Avalon
Vessel Make
Present 46
I have an '86 Present MY. The boat was refitted in 2015 with new Cummins 5.9 BT engines (210 hp) I'm trying to figure out how to connect my engine to my Garmin. I have the NMEA 2000 setup. I want to be able to read my engine functions on my Garmin screen. Thanks!

I presume this is a mechanical 5.9 engine which means there is no real computer running it. The sensors, oil pressure, temp, etc. are all analog and likely run to a Cummins alarm panel. There isn't provision to send the signal from those gauges to a NMEA 2000 gateway so you would have to use a third party device. Check with Yacht Devices how their gateway can or cannot be connected to your engine.
https://yachtdevicesus.com/collections/engine-gateways

The 2015 6BT is a remanufactured engine using only one used part. This allows Cummins to sell it without violating the tier emissions standards. Those engines should have the older style panel gauges and sensors which don't connect to Can Bus or NEMA 2000 networks. Unless there's some new converter device, I'm guessing you would have to replace the sensors and use a 3rd party black box to convert it to NEMA 2000.

Ted

I was worried about the age of my motors causing a compatibility issue. I've had to hook up mechanical gauges to verify oil pressure because my instruments all seem to read incorrectly; tachs are roughly 500 rmps higher, oil reads low causing the alarm on one engine to go off, temperature seems fairly accurate based on IR readings. I was hoping to get accurate reading right on my Garmin....

I was worried about the age of my motors causing a compatibility issue. I've had to hook up mechanical gauges to verify oil pressure because my instruments all seem to read incorrectly; tachs are roughly 500 rmps higher, oil reads low causing the alarm on one engine to go off, temperature seems fairly accurate based on IR readings. I was hoping to get accurate reading right on my Garmin....

Did the boat originally have 6BT engines and the new engines are using the old displays?

There are several different sensors for coolant temperature and oil pressure. As an example, a motor with a single gauge display will use a different sensor than a boat with a flybridge that has engine gauges at both helm stations.

Depending on the age of the tachometer, there may be an adjustment screw on the back of the gauge to correct the RPM error. Determining RPM with a photo tach off the flywheel and adjusting the gauge panel tach shouldn't be too difficult.

Ted

All new instrumentation for upper and lower helms when new engines were put in. I've changed the oil sending units, to no avail. I've looked for some sort of adjustment on the back of the tachometer, but cant seem to find anything.

I contacted Yacht Devices mentioned in one of the above replies. They indicated their system will not work with my older, analog system. They suggested an Actisence EMU1. Time for some more research!

@tiltrider1 beat me to the RS11 recommendation. Mine has been great on my 1981 analog engines. I didn't change any gauges, just configured the RS11 to use what I already had. Engine data is displayed right on my Garmin. I can switch to an "engine" screen for all the details, but I have RPMs right on the chart display (1200 on this screen shot):b
IMG_20160628_143636-1024x768.jpg

My engine is a a 2006 QSB5.9 380 HO in a 2006 Mainship 34. The engine was an electronic engine from the get-go. My Smart Craft display was going dim, so I looked for a work-around. With the help of Panbo.com (the marine electronics hub) I was able to buy and install the Yacht Devices Engine Gateway YDEG-04x1 and Adaptor Cables. Now I can see engine function on my Garmin MFD's. As luck would have it, the Smart Craft displays have not gone dim, but at least I have the comfort of knowing I would loose the ability to see engine functions. If the OP's engine is not electronic, I don't know of a way other than new sending units and gauges to achieve what he seeks.

Thanks for the info!. I've ordered the unit from Nolan. Any trick to the install? Do you simply splice into the gauge on the dash for each instrument and then connect to NEMA backbone? I assume the readout can be adjusted by hooking the unit up to a lap top..

The Yacht designs gateway simply plugged into Cummins harness where there was an unused connection. The other end plugged into Garmin backbone. I had to buy a Tee fitting. Once I had it all powered up, the engine data appeared on the MFD. No splicing, no programming needed. I do not know about Nolan so can’t comment on applicability.

Thanks for the info!. I've ordered the unit from Nolan. Any trick to the install? Do you simply splice into the gauge on the dash for each instrument and then connect to NEMA backbone? I assume the readout can be adjusted by hooking the unit up to a lap top..

It comes with pretty good instructions (or maybe I downloaded them, I forget.) Yes, you just connect to the existing sensors and use a laptop to configure them. It's been so long I forget the exact steps. But the fact that it wasn't all that memorable says something, anyway.

I have been doing research on this exact subject today. This items looks like a decent setup and can be configured. My engine is a gas engine.

https://actisense.com/products/emu-1-nmea-2000-engine-data/

Looks like it would be best to know the make/model of the sensors on the engines as well as the make of the analog guages.

Has anyone on this forum used this product?

Chris

I have been doing research on this exact subject today. This items looks like a decent setup and can be configured....

It does look good. What are you seeing which makes it worth $230 more than the Noland RS-11? I just skimmed the specs. I'm not really in the market right now, but always interested in what's available.

Analog to Garmin

This is what was recommended to us.

Attachments

• Noland R$11 Analog Engine.jpg
    Noland R$11 Analog Engine.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 15
It does look good. What are you seeing which makes it worth $230 more than the Noland RS-11? I just skimmed the specs. I'm not really in the market right now, but always interested in what's available.

Nothing really. Just based on the website and available videos it appears, and restate, appears there might be more support. It does seem a little more robust but that is only based on pictures.

Well, I received the Noland RS11. Hooking the wires up was pretty straight forward. The challenging part, at least to me, is the part where I hook the box to my laptop and need to convert the signals. I'm not very savvy when it comes to computers and am having difficulty understanding the directions provided. Looks like I will be calling Noland on Monday!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom