Fresh water pressure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GBNI

Veteran Member
Hi,
I have recently purchased a 1998 GB42 MY and love it.
The faucet flow in galley is good and ok in aft heads but in forward heads is only a trickle.
Any idea how to fix this?
I have tried running for a while in hope it would improve but no change.

Hi,
The faucet flow in galley is good and ok in aft heads but in forward heads is only a trickle.

hi, you can check the faucet outlet filter, it is a thread and opens tool. these can collect particles over time...

Pic link

https://www.k-rauta.fi/tuote/poresuutin-prof-m24x1-ulkokierre/6405422889327

NBs

Hi,

Some more information would be helpful. Is the plumbing plastic pipe or copper tubing (I'm not sure when they switched). Also, the outside diameter if copper or any marking on the plastic to indicate inside diameter.

Ted

Does it have an aerator on the faucet? They get plugged up sometimes.

Occasionally I have seen an inline water filter under the sink or behind a panel. They eventually become clogged and loose flow.

Are there shutoff valves below the sink that might not be all the way open?

If the hot and cold faucet come together as one outlet, is the lack of flow the same on cold, hot, and both on? This could indicate a blockage in the faucet or outlet aerator (as previously mentioned).

Is the faucet single control or one each for hot and cold?

Ted

Gray plastic piping is probably “Qest” brand. Qest offered an in-line backflow valve that looks like an inline connector. If you have one, look for an obstruction there.

I would start with the aerator on the faucet too. Easiest of all things to check. Also, the most likely culprit.

One follow-on thought. You might want to check if there are shut-off valves under the counter below the faucet. One, or both, might be partially closed. On my boat, I intentionally close these valves part way as a means of water conservation because my water pressure is so strong (due to the accumulator tank).

Thanks for all the useful replies, I will check when I next visit the boat.
Stand by for more questions…..

I forgot to say that the reason for the loss of fresh water was another leak in the old patchwork system.

I have no idea if this relates to your problem, but after experiencing a half a dozen fresh water leaks into the the bilge due to the failure of repeated plumbing patch jobs by previous owners over the years, I did a complete plumbing rebuild. It is awesome. The last straw was when underway for a weekend out on the islands, after a couple of hours I opened the ER hatch to discover fresh water all over. I had pumped my fresh water tanks empty in that space of time and, of course, had to turn around and go home. New item for checklist, keep fresh water pump off while running. Duh!

All the patches are gone, and I built a fresh water manifold from which I can independently control the forward, galley and aft water supply. It is pex tubing and "shark-bite" elbows and tees that have been dependable so far.

The point being, it wasn't a difficult job, and you may be due for a rebuild.

Hi,

Last edited:
Good news,I removed the aerator on the faucet and suddenly full flow.
Thank you

Back
Top Bottom