Fog

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Then they didn't have a horn in usable location. They sure had time to do a lot of waving of hands before deciding to leap. I know people don't always react logically and applaud them for jumping ship when many would not have been smart enough to have done so. But moving to the bow and waving their arms was not an effective strategy.

That is unrealistic! I timed the video between when those fishing first saw the oncoming boat and the collision. EIGHT SECONDS! And of course, had they blown a hand held horn assuming they had one they still needed a couple of seconds to jump overboard.

Last edited:
I doubt it. Don't know as we don't know the facts of what was going on in the express and neither story told so far makes sense or fully explains it. Just clearly vision wasn't working so perhaps sound would have had a chance.

FACTS? The fact is the speeding boat was not under proper control. No excuse for their action.

My wife and I had exactly this scenario happen to us.....minus the impact. Clear visibility. We were adrift in open water. By the time that you realize what is happening there is no time to react. The cruiser swerved just as we were ready to jump overboard. The cruiser passed us so close that if we had jumped to the wrong side he would have hit us. We could have reached out and touched the side of the cruiser as he swerved, passed us, and kept going. We were in a 26 foot boat. His bow wave hit our boat. I don’t rattle easily but it still makes me cringe 10 years later. Never have I felt so helpless. We were just lucky. No other explanation.

Last edited:
My wife and I had exactly this scenario happen to us.....minus the impact. Clear visibility. We were adrift in open water. By the time that you realize what is happening there is no time to react. The cruiser swerved just as we were ready to jump overboard. The cruiser passed us so close that if we had jumped to the wrong side he would have hit us. We could have reached out and touched the side of the cruiser as he swerved, passed us, and kept going. We were in a 26 foot boat. His bow wave hit our boat. I don’t rattle easily but it still makes me cringe 10 years later. Never have I felt so helpless. We were just lucky. No other explanation.

I was in a similar situation once in a previous boat. I saw a speeding sportfish boat heading in our direction and it didn't look like it was going to slow down or change course. Fortunately, we weren't anchored, just drifting so I was able to start the engine (no running the blower for four minutes) and get out of its way. It never did slow down or change course and my assumption was that it was on autopilot with no one at the helm.

You spoke to a major fear in such a situation and that is jumping too soon and the boat correcting right into you then. I think they timed their jump just right.

That is unrealistic! I timed the video between when those fishing first saw the oncoming boat and the collision. EIGHT SECONDS! And of course, had they blown a hand held horn assuming they had one they still needed a couple of seconds to jump overboard.

Blown a horn on the boat or hand horn likely would have done nothing but what little chance it had was greater than them waving their arms. No, there was very little time. Also had they blown a horn and gotten the attention of the operator, it could have caused a last minute move that actually killed them, a quick twist of the wheel.

From what I've been reading it seems that the new 4G radars, although marketed mostly to the lower priced recreational market, appear to be exceptional at defining extremely close objects (1/4 mile or less). If so, then if your operations are extensive in foggy harbors/close quarters, this type of unit would be a great complement to a "normal" 4kw-6kw open array.

I owned one for a while. It’s all BS. A similar sized Furuno dome is just as good up close, and distinctly better at over a mile or so

Back
Top Bottom