Did a lot of Willard’s come with forfjord anchors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lostsailor13

Vessel Name
Broadbill
Vessel Make
Willard 36
Mine has one and knowing the history of this boat with original parts I assume that it came on here from the get go,only tried it once in the sand and it hooked up first shot

Attachments

• 7EE64189-E091-44F1-B213-4B4AB3ED8FFA.jpg
    7EE64189-E091-44F1-B213-4B4AB3ED8FFA.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 23
My 1978 W40 “Northstar” came with a #40 Forfjord which was original to the boat. I did not have great success with that anchor so switched to a #55 Rocna which took care of us for a decade in all manner of Southeast Alaska and PNW anchorages. I sold the Forfjord to an Alaska fisherman for $400 (today a new #40 model sells for $1,200 through Fisheries!).

Our 1974 40' Willard had the original "factory anchor option" which included a #6 Forfjord anchor which weighs 66 pounds. The option also included 600' of 5/16" chain and an Ideal anchor windless. We've replaced the chain with heavier 3/8" chain and a larger Lofrans windless but we're still using the old Forfjord anchor. I make sure the boat is moving backwards when the anchor hits the bottom so that the chain pays out and doesn't wrap around a fluke or the shank and this seems to work. Not that it means anything but most of the fishing boats in Alaska use Forfjord anchors but since they're made in Seattle maybe it's a PNW thing.

Tom and Nancy Loners, Wrangell AK.
40' Willard, "Sanderling"

I’m a long time Willard owner and have never heard of a Willard w a ForFjord anchor.

Not a fan of the FF anchor. Had one in Alaska. In Rocky Pass near a river I deployed the FF but could only drag it around. Never did hook up. Threw out the anchor that was the original on our W30 .. a 13lb Danforth w a forged shank.
Set immediately and held w my usual 1400rpm backdown.

In SE Alaska most of the commercial fishermen do use (or at least carry around) the ForFjord anchor. Many also use the Bruce type or one of several other anchors that look like a Bruce but are simple cast steel. They vary a bit in shape. Lots of skippers swear the actual Bruce brand claw is far superior to the copies. On average they are most likely inferior but I think at least one may be as good or possibly even better. Just my opinion. Many skippers use claw anchors and are quite happy w them. Frankly I think the ForFjords are about the same performance as the average Claw.

Steve G did some testing of the ForFjord and it was mostly negative. I’d prefer a Claw of equal weight.

The anchor on the right was my 13lb forged shank plate steel Danforth.
The 22lb Donforth w forged shank and forged fluke (left) is the highest performance Danforth that was made.

Attachments

• 8D9A41D3-8F9A-40CA-BEEE-4484F71D4FC4.jpg
    8D9A41D3-8F9A-40CA-BEEE-4484F71D4FC4.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I’m a long time Willard owner and have never heard of a Willard w a ForFjord anchor.

The W36 was setup for a Fordjord. I've zoomed the pic in the OP and you can see not much else will fit properly. Given the W36 was designed by Bill Garden in the 1950s, a noted PNW Naval architect, it makes sense since it was the modern anchor of the day.

Peter Screenshot_20220403-031355.jpg

Our previous Defever had a Fordjord anchor and it worked perfectly. Our current Defever has a Rocna and I would not trade it for anything! ( Although we have only rode out 50mph winds so far)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom