Keys after first of year

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have considered that area but for me.... with marginal "expected" holding...not the greatest anchorage.

If I am going to anchor in possibly greater than 20 knot winds...I want better protection and holding....which this area has but limited if other boats beat you there...with not much else around t fall back to. Many Dec-Mar cold fronts can easily give you 20+ not winds so I was skeptical of this anchorage unless I had all day to investigate and backtrack if needed.

Have considered that area but for me.... with marginal "expected" holding...not the greatest anchorage.

If I am going to anchor in possibly greater than 20 knot winds...I want better protection and holding....which this area has but limited if other boats beat you there...with not much else around t fall back to. Many Dec-Mar cold fronts can easily give you 20+ not winds so I was skeptical of this anchorage unless I had all day to investigate and backtrack if needed.

All, I can say is, that we found the holding good, and it worked great for us. But, we did have a 55 lb Rocna and an all chain rode. YMMV.

Like the Bahamas, I trust few anchorages in the keys as the holding 10 feet right or left can be completely different no matter what size/type anchor.

Just too many reports through the last 40 years since I frequented the keys to trust cold front wind predictions and open anchorages. Last time I was anchored down there.... 10-15 knot differences were noted so options were a safe backup.

I would try that area if I could get into a few spots that looked promising...but like I said...you have to be an early bird and backtracking to better anchorages is only a bet...not a sure thing if the crowd is in town.

About the Naval Air marina...what does "a ways off" mean?

Boca Chica Marina is at Mile Marker 8 on the Overseas Highway and transient slips with electric included are available for $1.00 a day per foot. The only catch is that you must have a Military ID card, either active, reserve or retired.

No problem being qualified...like many places in the Keys.... I hear they are full many months in advance.

I have a friend who lives on his 37 Morgan on a mooring ball in the boot key field. He tells me there are spaces left, but they are first come first served. You can not reserve ahead of time.

I was going to use the boot key field and called ahead of time.
There was no way they'd let me leave the boat unattended for 2 weeks while I went to work :-/

Nop

Check out the area, how would they know? Many boats are left there for weeks or months at a time. I had a friend who left his boat there all winter.

No problem being qualified...like many places in the Keys.... I hear they are full many months in advance.

That is not the case at all. I have a permanent slip and we have been here for the past year. The marina makes every effort to accommodate transients and we had a 56' Carver parked next to us last season for three months. Hurricane Irma shuffled the deck and a lot of long tern slip holders lost their boats or just decided that it was time to move on. Many of them were in their seventies. There is also a mooring field available if all the slips are filled. We are just starting into our high season and maybe 70% of the slips are filled.

Anyone interested in more information can send me a PM.

Last edited:
Nop

Check out the area, how would they know? Many boats are left there for weeks or months at a time. I had a friend who left his boat there all winter.

Yeah I didn't even imagine there would be a rule against it or I wouldn't have told them what my plans were.
I surely could have gotten away with it for 2 weeks.

Yeah I didn't even imagine there would be a rule against it or I wouldn't have told them what my plans were.
I surely could have gotten away with it for 2 weeks.

They don't call it "The Sailor Park" for nothing. Nobody follows the rules! :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom