Swift 44 fire YIKES

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, if the fire was due to unsafe behavior by someone on board I would think that Beneteau would want that news out there to quell any critics. On the other hand, if it was some problem within the boat I'm sure that it will be a "long investigation".

It worries me that there has been NO NEWS whatsoever. Also, there must be more video than the one featured on the TV news segment.

Well, if the fire was due to unsafe behavior by someone on board I would think that Beneteau would want that news out there to quell any critics. On the other hand, if it was some problem within the boat I'm sure that it will be a "long investigation".

It worries me that there has been NO NEWS whatsoever. Also, there must be more video than the one featured on the TV news segment.

If it's something like that, it would still be without 100% proof and Beneteau not about to speak about it. There may also be litigation of any number of types, such as owner vs. insurer and insurer vs. Beneteau for not anticipating an idiot owner. Not saying this one is, just the type suits that transpire.

There is seldom more news on fires of this type. To the world at large it's not a huge event. We normally never know what is found in the investigation by law enforcement or insurer. Insurer's investigation is the only one generally to get into cause unless it was some form of crime and often they won't spend much time unless they somehow believe they wouldn't be responsible. However, unless it was intentional or the builder can be blamed, then they really don't care too much beyond that.

There probably will not be much of an investigation as the boat is lost and somewhere on the bottom of the GOM. Not much return on finding it, floating it and doing an investigation.

There are three parties that know the most: Owner/operator on board at the time, insurer and manufacturer. There is little gain for any to put what they know out to the public. Hashing it out among themselves, quietly.

Coasties probably knows very little aside from 1. there was a fire, 2. boat was lost, 3. no casualties.

Its likely that the cause is unknown, even to the persons on board. They might know the rough area where it started but if was already well engaged before it was discovered then everything would be just conjecture without an expert analysis. And that’s unlikely with the boat on the bottom of the Gulf.

Back
Top Bottom