View Single Post
Old 01-22-2017, 06:16 PM   #17
Aft Deck Capt

City: Tri-Cities WA
Vessel Name: Long Shot
Vessel Model: 1978 Californian 42' LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Q View Post
What type of Varnish? I have tried a few, and none hold up after a Alaska winter.
Mu teak is bare now, thinking of oil..
I'm using System Three gloss spar over S3 laminating epoxy on the face. I think the key to making the finish last is keeping the moisture from getting under the varnish, hence two coats of epoxy as a base. I've used this layup on all of the teak that has been refinished or replace so far.

As a test (partially driven by time constraints), the lower bullnose received 4 coats of McLosky's satin spar varnish without any epoxy under coat. This varnish has a very high oil content, brushes out nicely and seems to stay very flexible after drying. It will be interesting to see how it lasts compared to the other layup.

We're exposed to the elements 24/7. The teak finished with the epoxy+ varnish nearly two years ago has started to show hazing of the gloss varnish but no peeling. So...the cap rail and toe rail will get a scuff and recoat this spring/summer. Just in time!...I was running out of things to do on the boat.

Please throw me the bowline Fraulein!
Aft Deck Capt is offline   Reply With Quote