Southern California Marinas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I shipped my 32 Nordic Tug from ft lauderdale, fl to Ventura ca for about $10,500
Oxnard and Ventura have reasonable mooring rates compared to further south

It is expensive to ship a large boat across country. It is expensive to buy and sell a boat as well. I would at least consider the option of selling your current boat and buying one in place.

For those of you in CA, if you buy a boat that currently has a slip, can you keep the slip? I know that is the practice in lots of marinas up here.
While looking at so cal boats in our ongoing search, many brokers and owners tried to tell us they'll "put a good word for us with the marina to keep the slip". Apparently that referral carries some weight with the marina management, but I doubt it will influence them for liveaboard status.

Agree, and probably anyone who reads TF falls in that category and I would be happy to have them in the slip next to me. Same deal for retired folks, or someone who has a job, is respectful of the docks, and don't act like the mayor because they live there. No issues.

The headaches (mostly sailboats) often drank too much, younger, and needed to get a job. And many of these guys are pumping their black water direct to the ocean.

Somewhat related topic: There are two main anchorages in SD harbor. You have to go on line, and register in advance. During the summer these are often full because the same group of about 20 sailboats run between the anchorages for the max 3 day stay. Many of these guys are in their 20-30's, crappy sailboats with gas cans and Honda gens running, and as noted, need to get a job. It is basically subsidized housing, and we are paying for it.

Ok, got that off my chest. :)
Unfortunately, insurance or boat finance companies do not make those distinctions among liveaboards.
They're all treated as a higher risk. Some are justified, because of the higher use of the boat, even if it doesn't move.
But the 'derelict' factor affects all liveaboards, for underwritting purposes.

Lots of slips available in San Pedro. I'm in Holiday Harbor paying about $615 for a 40' slip.

You can scratch Oceanside off the list. There are no 43' foot slips available. Live-aboard is a moot point. They do allow subleases but even if you could get one live-aboard doesn't transfer with the sub. Oceanside is one of the only harbors where you can transfer the slip with the sale of a boat. The purchaser supersedes the waiting list so the lists crawl along at a snails pace.

Chula Vista is nice and fairly new but they basically have one ramp to serve all of the slips so it's quite a hike the farther out you are. I saw a lot of dinghy's up by the gate so I assume folks are ferrying.

Pier 32 is another fairly new marina way at the south end of Sand Diego Harbor. You can see the hills of Tijauna as you are just a stones throw away. If you are in this marina it's quite a cruise just to get out to the open ocean. Due to it's location you might find availability.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom