Wiring routing question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bongi

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Scatterlings
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 42C
Going to the boat this weekend - a 1986 GB42C - and need to trace some cabling.

Wondering if anyone knows what route the wires take from the outdoor outlet at the top of the stairs to the bridge …on their way back to the breaker panel at the lower helm?

The wires I really care about (I think a post factory install) are a 12v cable to drive a Nic Jackson Davit which exits at that outlet point. All those wires just disappear into the fiberglass cavity behind the outlet box - which is below the mast step. I figure they probably follow the same route, albeit they are of course much thicker at around #6 gauge-ish.

Does anyone know if the outlet cables use a track in the roofing section, or head all the way down into the engine room?… I don’t see evidence of them crossing the engine room anywhere??

My guess would be through the pvc like wire chase under the headliner in the salon. Should be access points under the mast and also forward in the overhead.

My guess would be through the pvc like wire chase under the headliner in the salon. Should be access points under the mast and also forward in the overhead.

What he said. There is a chase down the centerline that exits in the console above the lower helm. From there, mine at least, go to the starboard side and down the removable wood panel on the wall and then forward to the panel. Don't be surprised if there is little to no room to add another cable! I just wired a new air horn compressor to the panel and had to drill a couple of 1/2" holes to get it to lead forward. Chock full of cable and wires. Not sure if this helps but...

Attachments

• GB42 Wiring.jpg
    GB42 Wiring.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 19
That perfect guys, thanks a stack. Most appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom