1989 Californian 48 CPMY

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Retiredmx

Vessel Name
Hadley Girl
Vessel Make
1989 Californian, 48 CPMY
After much looking, the Admiral and I finally closed the deal on our new, to us, 48 CPMY with Cat 3208TAs (375 HP). We love it and it's quite the change from the 36 ft Uniflite we previously owned for 15 years. The trip from Georgetown, Maine to Poquoson, VA was uneventful and we are very please at how the boat performed.

I've read, with interest, the history of the Califonian brand as it changed from the Marshall family to Wellcraft and then Carver, particularly where the boats were built and changes made along the way. I have a copy of the documentation history since the boat was first built in 1988. According to the that paperwork, she is a Tustin, CA built boat and we are the 5th owner.

Still trying to decipher the HIN (CDRJB006K889). I've seen the discussions about the early HINs and have read that historical records no longer exist for the later Californian models. Any help with our HIN is greatly appreciated as is any help with obtaining wiring schematics.

Congrats on your new boat. Glad the delivery went well. How about some photos of it?

I'm still working on my size conversion skills....

20211023_170645-200x200.jpg

20210929_180510-105x105.jpg

20211031_181125-200x200.jpg

I am searching for my first trawler, and a 1987 Californian 48 is one of the candidates. I know very little about the pros and cons of the Californian hull, seaworthyness, performance, shortcomings, etc. Are there particularly good sources + resources for that kind of information that I should explore? Thanks

I am searching for my first trawler, and a 1987 Californian 48 is one of the candidates. I know very little about the pros and cons of the Californian hull, seaworthyness, performance, shortcomings, etc. Are there particularly good sources + resources for that kind of information that I should explore? Thanks

Sorry for not replying sooner, I've had some medical appointments. Bglad provides good advice to get with someone familiar with the brand as suggested. Having said that, we are happy with ours. She is in great shape for her age and handled rough water well when we hit some big seas on our trip down from Maine to Virgina. She also handles well and is responsive in docking situations. We like the layout and fit and finish has held up over the years. Good luck with your search!

Lots of luck on a wiring schematic. We bought our 1988 Californian late last year, and over the past year we have installed all new electronics, a bow and stern thruster as well as a new windlass. As part of this, I was forever chasing old wires, runs, etc. We found a couple circuits that were not protected with breakers, butt splices in areas that were impossible to see unless you were pulling that wire, you name it.

Essential tools included a circuit tracer, bore scope, and a limber neck (and probably a 6-pack of beer).

The main routing from down below to the upper helm is down to the port side of the engine room and then up through an area above the small hanging locker as you go into the aft berth. The larger hanging locker/closet in the aft berth has a number of wires behind the back panel in the closet. Go ahead and PM me if you want more details and pics.

I am interested in how much of a project was your wiring. In my new to me boat I seem to have some aft deck outlets with solid copper wire that I want to replace with correct wire. I also have some 12 v wiring that is just hanging there. It sounds a lot like your adventure so I am just trying to figure out how much of a project is this going to be.

I am interested in how much of a project was your wiring. In my new to me boat I seem to have some aft deck outlets with solid copper wire that I want to replace with correct wire. I also have some 12 v wiring that is just hanging there. It sounds a lot like your adventure so I am just trying to figure out how much of a project is this going to be.

Well, it was a bit of a challenge at times, other times just plain grunt work. For instance, two overhead lights in the sundeck area. After a couple of days, I finally found where the feeder wire came from (chase between port side upper helm and main salon). Ok, now I can put a switch in. But that only fed one of the lights. The exiting wire from that light went, I presumed to the other light, but no continuity. There must be a break someplace in the sundeck ceiling. So, I took out the old lights, put in led wafers in the original puck, and installed thin wire so it wasn't so noticeable.

We have a spotlight looking aft, and the PO didn't know how to make it work.
After off and on for weeks, I finally found it went over to the chase for the davit crane, down into the ceiling aft berth (zipper in the ceiling off to each side), through the back of the hanging lockers, and then up to the upper helm. We now have a switch for that.

Finding the main chases helps a lot. The port side upper helm to main salon, then behind the hanging lockers and into the engine room seems to be the primary, and it is filled with wires. I have pulled those I know went to old instruments, but I won't pull anything unless I know for certain, certain sure that it is no longer in use. It is a project that is never complete, I work on it as time and inspiration allows. Our chases in the engine room are a 2 inch x 2 inch plastic runway with cover, and I have pulled that cover off several times. The holder of the patent on wire ties is making a killing off of me as I snip, pull wires, re-secure, etc.

Just pick an area and go for it. At least that part will be safer.

Today while working on our boat my wife asked how may wire ties would I guess are in the boat. I can’t even imagine how many.

Good notes, thanks Mike H.

Back
Top Bottom