Sealing leaking oil pan gasket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BobH

Guru
Vessel Name
Encore
Vessel Make
Whitby 42
The oil pan gasket on my FL is leaking on one side. Is there some magic product that can be applied externally to seal the gasket? A couple of the bolts weren't real tight and I'm hoping that tightening them solves the problem. Has anyone ever tried Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure for that?

Bob

Not the use for the creeping crack cure , but you might go to NAPA and find a sealant that (IF you clean first) might stop the side leak.

Greetings,
Mr. B. Getting the surface clean enough was my first thought as well. As Mr. FF said. I don't think this is one of the uses for CCC. It's water based and as such will be repelled by any oil in and around the leak. You might be tempted to use some sort of silicone material but again that has it's problems as well. Qualifier:I don't like silicone for anything on a boat and my bias against it is LARGE. Band-aid cures are just that.

I didn't think CCC would work. But I am looking for a band aid as I'm not ready to drop the pan to do it right. I might consider it if the boat was a keeper but it's up for sale. But since we are still using it I would like to clean it up somewhat.

Bob

There is only one way to fix a leaking pan gasket if tightening the bolts doesn't do it, remove and replace it.

There is no magic sauce that will fix it without looking like this from another thread:

Attachments

• yuck.JPG
    yuck.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 351
Any halfway decent surveyor will catch a patch job in an instant, as will a knowledgeable buyer. You see something like the (such as the JB Weld in RickB's post) and it sends up a big red flag as to what the owner's general standards are. Might well cost you a lot more in the end than doing it right.

Check the lift pump gasket.

Pretty rare for oil pan to block joints to leak. Clean it up real well and monitor, the oil might be coming from somewhere else.

It's not the lift pump, it's much further back and I've had it off. The leak is at the front, I originally thought it was the timing gear cover. May still be the timing gear cover, won't really know till I get it cleaned up some. The pan bolts in that area were loose so I'm hoping that was the problem.

>>>Any halfway decent surveyor will catch a patch job in an instant<<< Your opinion of surveyors is much higher than mine. Most wouldn't recognize a patch job if you pointed it out to them.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom