Pulley for a Caterpillar 3208TA Raw Water Pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oceancrosser

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Kristine
Vessel Make
DeFever 53 POC
Hello,

I hope everyone is doing well and accomplishing all of those projects whilst "harboring in place"!:)

I have been cruising "without a net" (safety net) by not having in my inventory a spare raw water pump for my Caterpillar 3208TAs.

True confessions... I am a spare parts junkie and haven't meet a spare part that I didn't want to be without!:eek:

Well... today I am ordering a replacement pump but can't seem to find a source for the flat pulley plate that goes on the pump. (Jabsco pump 7420-1001).

I have been told it was nearly impossible to remove the pulley on the present pump so I didn't want to destroy it in the process.

Does anyone know of a source for this part (I can't find any part numbers on the pulley itself)

Thanks for your help,

Stay safe,

Rusty

NC Machinery out of Seattle. Have your engine serial # and they will get you what you need.

Perfect... it's on my call list for Monday morning.

Thanks for your help,

Rusty

My 3208NA has a 'Browning' style split tapered hub sheave assy, available from industrial suppliers like McMaster-Carr, just match the shaft, belt and diameter, there should be a replacement for whatever is on there now. If this is what's on there it is easy to remove - take the three 1/4" bolts out of the face and run them evenly into the three alternate holes provided to back off the hub.

My 3208NA has a 'Browning' style split tapered hub sheave assy, available from industrial suppliers like McMaster-Carr, just match the shaft, belt and diameter, there should be a replacement for whatever is on there now. If this is what's on there it is easy to remove - take the three 1/4" bolts out of the face and run them evenly into the three alternate holes provided to back off the hub.

This is what mine has, and once you figure it out it is simple as can be.

Welcome aboard Rusty. I bought an alternator, then when I opened the box, no pulley. I ordered one from NC Machinery. Be prepared for sticker shock. The pulley cost more than the alternator. But I now have a spare.

The pulley is very easy to remove once you have made the tool.

Drill 2 1/4inch holes at 6 and 12 o'clock right next to the hub. Put 2 1/4in bolts in the holes with backing nuts. Place them thru a plate (about 3/8in thick) that spans the center of the shaft. Put something like a nut between the plate and the end of the shaft to finish the "puller". As you tighten the nuts sequentially, the pulley will be "pulled" off the shaft. No damage to this large thin metal pulley.

The final step is to add the 1/4in bolts and nuts and the plate to your toobox for the next repair (in about 2000hrs of engine run).

Don't forget to use NeverSeeze on the pulley when you put it all back together.

Back
Top Bottom