Onan MDKUB 6.5kw - brush replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SLBrackin56

Vessel Name
Blue Dolphin
Vessel Make
Mariner Orient 34
My generator has the Onan metal sound box surrounding it. It appears I need to remove the left side panel of the sound box to access the brushes? Also can you remove the cover or get it out of the way without disconnecting all fuel,exhaust and electrical connections that go through that side of the cover? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

My generator has the Onan metal sound box surrounding it. It appears I need to remove the left side panel of the sound box to access the brushes? Also can you remove the cover or get it out of the way without disconnecting all fuel,exhaust and electrical connections that go through that side of the cover? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I started working on one of those today. I don't see brushes in the wiring diagram. Do you have a parts diagram?

I started working on one of those today. I don't see brushes in the wiring diagram. Do you have a parts diagram?

I have a hard copy of the parts manual, I took a pic but it is too large to post.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/V7oiez49dGLHXnfP6

The brushes are part number 214-0103.

It looks like serious disassembly is required. Removal of the end covers is not pleasant. There are straight headed screws in each corner that are likely corroded, I used an impact driver for three but needed to drill out the last. I had the convenience of working in a shop rather than an engine room. I can take pictures if you need them.

Did you pull the back cover open? They may be there.

GDavid, Thanks for picture of manual. I think it appears that I have no choice but to get that side cover off. Mine is in an engine room but I do have pretty good access. Any mounting screws are completely corroded at this point so the most work is removing all the connections on that side of the generator. Just seems like a crazy amount of work to get to something that does need some form of regular attention. I am even contemplating cutting a portion of the side cover off and making my own access opening.
TowLou, I did take both front back and top covers off but the unit is close to a bulkhead so no real access to rear.
Also I do have a copy of a service manual that I might be able to email if anyone needs it.
Thanks for helping!

Back
Top Bottom