Costco LiFePO4 batteries?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slowgoesit

Guru
Site Team
Vessel Name
Muirgen
Vessel Make
50' Beebe Passagemaker
Anyone have any experience with Costco LiFePO4 batteries? I've attached the spec sheet, and a screen shot (page 2) with cost.

Basically:

• $749.99, 105Ah battery vs $949.00, 100Ah from Battleborn
  • Weighs less than Battleborn 100Ah battery, 23lbs vs 31 lbs
  • slightly smaller in size, Also $200.00 less per battery!
  • 5 to 7 day to arrive after order, includes Shipping & Handling
Sounds like a very viable alternative to many of the LiFePO4 batteries out there.

Thoughts?:popcorn:

Attachments

• Costco Lithium Ion Iron Phosphate batteries specs.pdf
    231.8 KB · Views: 111
I could comment on LiPo, because I have a big one. No experience with LiFePO4.
HOWEVER, I would be extremely wary of buying a LiFePO4 battery from a company whose marketing material starts out: "Lithium IRON(!) phosphate battery info". Perhaps it's just lost in translation from Chinese...but it seriously puts me off.

Last edited:
Not really much information on the spec sheet.

Do the COSTCO batteries have a BMS (Battery Management System) built into the batteries?

Kinda suspicious to me that the batteries are only 2/3's the weight of the Battle Born Batteries.

Jim

According to the spec sheet the batteries are Lion Energy Safari UT1300.

I agree with the comments above and note the difference in tone and substance between the BattleBorn website and Lion's website, the latter being more rah rah and the former more technical. Having said that I couldn't find any mis-statements in Lion's website. I was pleased that they noted a standard FLA charger won't give best results and offered suggestions to charge from a vehicle's alternator.

I am glad that someone is giving BB a pricing challenge. LiFePO4 batteries need to get down closer to $500 per 100 Ah to really take off.

David

I could comment on LiPo, because I have a big one. No experience with LiFePO4.
HOWEVER, I would be extremely wary of buying a LiFePO4 battery from a company whose marketing material starts out: "Lithium IRON(!) phosphate battery info". Perhaps it's just lost in translation from Chinese...but it seriously puts me off.

I'm pretty sure you have LiFePO4 batteries in your boat. You would be sitting on a potential bomb if they were LiPO.

What is the problem with saying "Lithium IRON(!)"? That's what they are - remember your high-school chemistry? ------- 'Fe' ring a bell?

Not really much information on the spec sheet.

Do the COSTCO batteries have a BMS (Battery Management System) built into the batteries?

Jim

From Lion's website:
The Safari UT1300 is 12.8V, 105Ah, 1344Wh rated battery (refer to the chart above).
It also has a built-in smart battery management system (BMS) that protects and extends the life of the battery, giving you years of performance.

I'm pretty sure you have LiFePO4 batteries in your boat. You would be sitting on a potential bomb if they were LiPO.

What is the problem with saying "Lithium IRON(!)"? That's what they are - remember your high-school chemistry? ------- 'Fe' ring a bell?

Sorry - thought "IRON" in the title was supposed to be "ION".

Lots of good input here, thanks.

I to am concerned that they appear to get great capacity (105Ah vs 100Ah for the BB) with a slightly smaller battery weighing 8 lbs less.

I noted that the BMS was incorporated in each battery as well.
Agree that BB's are great, but also agree that they are overpriced . . . kind of like LED's when they first came out, they are finally getting more reasonably priced.
Still looking for the perfect boat, but fully intending to either purchase a boat already set up, or refit boat with Solar and LiFePO4 batteries.

It is not a bad price. Building a 100Ah battery yourself from prismatic cells with a BMS including temp, over/under voltage protection will set you back about $650. I'd be very skeptical about the 150A continuous discharge and 100A continuous charge current claims.

If you are thinking about a "drop-in" replacement, make sure you are protecting the alternators against BMS disconnect and keep the batteries out of the hot engine room. For best longevity, do not float them once fully charged. LiFePO4 are best stored at 50% charge.

Last edited:
Don't forget that Battle Born has a 10 year warranty. I have 3 in my motorhome and they are performing great. If you can wait until Black Friday or Monday they are usually for sale for $850. Or call and they may have some blems for a lower price.

Don't forget that Battle Born has a 10 year warranty. I have 3 in my motorhome and they are performing great. If you can wait until Black Friday or Monday they are usually for sale for $850. Or call and they may have some blems for a lower price.

That's a good point. And since we still haven't found the boat we want to purchase, I still have time!:D

Battleborn offers:

"Battle Born Batteries offers a 10-year manufacturers defect warranty from the date of purchase. This warranty does not cover negligence or misuse of the battery. If it is deemed that battery was used improperly, you will be subject to a $150 an hour repair charge plus parts and shipping."

This is not a cycle life warranty. It only covers defects from manufacturing.

Back
Top Bottom