Converting to a Smaller Helm steering wheel. Possible?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Streff

Vessel Make
Californian 45 MY
I find that bringing the rudder back to center takes too many pulls (small rotations) with my current steering wheel of 26” diameter. I wonder, with the appropriate adjustments of the cables, if I can convert to a smaller 12-14” wheel. I see several boats have smaller wheels. My steering is hynautic vintage 1990s.

I suspect this conversion is not uncommon so I am looking for comments or suggestions re: feasibility & such. I know enough about the steering system to realize that this is not a simple switch.

Thank you all in advance.

Streff

Hynautic, just like most marine steering manufacturers (except Wagner) uses a 3/4" shaft with a 1" per ft taper and a keyway.
Choose your new wheel from a variety of manufacturers that make these wheels and change it out

:socool:

Remember that with a smaller diameter wheel it will take more effort to turn it.

Hynautic, just like most marine steering manufacturers (except Wagner) uses a 3/4" shaft with a 1" per ft taper and a keyway.
Choose your new wheel from a variety of manufacturers that make these wheels and change it out

:socool:

Be careful, some old Hynautic helms use a straight shaft, with no taper.

Back
Top Bottom