Old 04-07-2021, 10:40 PM   #121
Grand Vizier

In 50 years of cruising the PNW, I don't recall ever thinking to myself, "gee, I wish I was listening to a genset running so I could have zero speed stablizers." The thought just never occurred, but I'm a sound sleeper.

Old 04-08-2021, 01:08 AM   #122
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
In 50 years of cruising the PNW, I don't recall ever thinking to myself, "gee, I wish I was listening to a genset running so I could have zero speed stablizers." The thought just never occurred, but I'm a sound sleeper.
Well, if you had the right genset with sound protection, you wouldn't be listening to it.

I'm not saying everyone needs zero speed stabilizers in the PNW. Most don't. But a few find them beneficial. Plus some just choose them over regular stabilizers in case ever needed. If you don't need to turn them on, then don't.

We seldom needed them once we passed Vancouver, but we had our generator running anyway for our refrigeration and freezers and our heat and at least one night I know when anchored near Glacier Bay we were hit by large wakes. Now wouldn't have really bothered us but did smooth things. Had we not already had the generator on, would we have turn the stabilizers on? I doubt it. But as it was they were on.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 08:28 AM   #123
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Well, if you had the right genset with sound protection, you wouldn't be listening to it.
For many Delfin would be considered the ultimate trawler for near shore and blue water traveling. Zero speed stabs and a nil dba genset would hardly make it better. An owner that knows where to anchor is a plus.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 10:19 AM   #124
Guru

City: Barrington
Vessel Name: Hippocampus
Vessel Model: Boatless at present
This thread is about stabilization. Wonder if any one here has used a magnus effect device?
If you spec’d or later put in stabilization why didn’t you choose a magnus effect device?

Seems ideal
Works at FD speeds and at rest.
Safe in all weather conditions.
Rotate in very close to the hull. So in skinny waters or docking just rotate them in and negligible risk of damage to them or the hull. But you can deploy in much shallower waters than fish without concern.
No spin up

Don’t understand why they’re not seen more. Please explain.
Hippocampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 10:32 AM   #125
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippocampus View Post
This thread is about stabilization. Wonder if any one here has used a magnus effect device?
If you spec’d or later put in stabilization why didn’t you choose a magnus effect device?

Seems ideal
Rotate in very close to the hull. So in skinny waters or docking just rotate them in and negligible risk of damage to them or the hull. But you can deploy in much shallower waters than fish without concern.
No spin up

I've been watching Rotorswing for a couple years as they develop their system. Seemed like their products were going to be more geared to 'regular boaters' than the mega moolah yacht crowd.

Don't know if they have dealers in North America yet.

https://rotorswing.com

Old 04-08-2021, 10:52 AM   #126
Guru

From the Rotorswing contact page:

Quote:
RotorSwing Holland would love to hear from you. We are in the process of adding importers and distributors and can assist you with finding installation locations near you.
Sounds like they might be thinking about ramping up, but they sure are moving cautiously!
Old 04-08-2021, 11:54 AM   #127
Guru

Quote:

Seems ideal
No spin up

Quantum has been using since 2004. Their market however is 80' and up but they're highly respected in the superyacht world.

https://quantumstabilizers.com/produ...p-stabilizers/
Old 04-08-2021, 09:22 PM   #128
Guru

Dynamic in Holland makes the magnus master for boats in the size range commonly discussed here.
Old 04-08-2021, 09:35 PM   #129

City: NE Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
I'm with you.... I do wonder wonder though about some small super quiet gennys...such as one of the little honda inverter generators.... IF they would be enough to power a gyro...then something similar to that.....installed and isolated I'd bet it would be really hard to hear.
skyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 10:13 PM   #130
Guru

Quote:
Dynamic in Holland makes the magnus master for boats in the size range commonly discussed here.
Their DMS Magnus Master is limited to a maximum speed of 12 knots. From what I can tell all their products are limited to low speed.
Old 04-08-2021, 10:17 PM   #131
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Their DMS Magnus Master is limited to a maximum speed of 12 knots. From what I can tell all their products are limited to low speed.
This is a 'trawler' forum
Old 04-09-2021, 12:06 AM   #132
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
This is a 'trawler' forum
And as we well know nearly half the people here own boats that wouldn't be classified as trawlers. Many have boats that can reach more than 12 knots.
Old 04-09-2021, 07:51 AM   #133
Guru

Granted, but for the other half the question remains. Compared to gyros the cost is in the same ballpark. Why isn’t there more market penetration for magnus effect devices? Seems to a significant degree the downsides of fins and gyros are avoided.
Old 04-09-2021, 08:53 AM   #134
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Granted, but for the other half the question remains. Compared to gyros the cost is in the same ballpark. Why isn’t there more market penetration for magnus effect devices? Seems to a significant degree the downsides of fins and gyros are avoided.
The downsides of fins and gyros are few if installed, maintained and operated properly. Our fins have done great!
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 09:00 AM   #135
Guru

Quote:
Magnus seems to be primarily a European development with very little marketing or support in the US.

Similarly, we're huge fans of Sleipner/Side Power Vector Fins. Yet, have seen very few of them. We had them on a Sunseeker Manhattan 65 and were thrilled with them both at speed and at anchor and slow speed. Not as unique as Magnus but still a great option and I have tested vs. Gyro on an identical boat. Also had a captain friend who is a gyro fan and he had a customer with them on a Sunseeker and totally swears by them now, was a quick convert. I think most people are like I am, very slow to try something different than what they're use to. It's a big investment in something you're not as familiar with.
Old 04-09-2021, 09:44 AM   #136
Veteran Member

City: Lincoln
Vessel Name: Still the One
Vessel Model: Hatteras 42 LRC
OK Maybe I shouldn't read these threads Just a quick question. The boat we're surveying this week a Hatteras 42 LRC mark II has Naiad stabilizers that the owner proudly proclaimed that the boat specs out for 4.5 fins but this boat had a 6' system installed. Should I be worried about the extra stressors on the hull, and how much extra pucker factor do these fins (if extra sized) add to normal operations. I'm flying down for survey so will get a look at them next week with haulout .
Wildbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 10:38 AM   #137
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbill View Post
OK Maybe I shouldn't read these threads Just a quick question. The boat we're surveying this week a Hatteras 42 LRC mark II has Naiad stabilizers that the owner proudly proclaimed that the boat specs out for 4.5 fins but this boat had a 6' system installed. Should I be worried about the extra stressors on the hull, and how much extra pucker factor do these fins (if extra sized) add to normal operations. I'm flying down for survey so will get a look at them next week with haulout .
4.5 sf is small for a displacement boat. I would almost guarantee virtually all Hatt 42LRCs with stabilizers had 6sf fins.

Hatt has been installing stabilizers since at least the 1970s. They know what they're doing. I wouldn't worry a moment about structural integrity.

There is a decent Hatt owners group elsewhere on the net. If curious, you may want to ping them too.

Peter

mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote