Old 03-31-2021, 09:20 PM   #21
Guru

City: Gooding ID/Wrangell AK
Vessel Name: Silver Bay
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42-002
You can get dinner in Wrangell after 7 PM at the Stikine Inn and you don’t have deal with the Wrangell Narrows tides.

Tom

tpbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 09:33 PM   #22
Guru

City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Vessel Name: SEEADLER
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
Me too.

We went into the marina and the current was bad.
Yeah, everyone times their transit of the Narrows so the current favors their direction. Love those 12-14 knot transits!

But the real trick is to arrive in Petersburg at the exact slack...not 30 minutes before or after.

The only real gelcoat divot on my boat reminds me every time I look at it.

AlaskaProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 12:20 AM   #23

City: Bainbridge Island/Petersburg Alaska
Vessel Name: Oz
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40' RPH 1979
These are all just my opinions. I haven't put into Wrangell for many years. A couple of years ago, we were considering having some work done in Wrangell and tried to reach the harbor dept. to inquire about space during the winter. Called them several times during normal hours and couldn't reach anyone and there was no way to leave a message. This kind of confirmed an earlier impressions that the harbor department in Wrangell was not as well run as the one in Petersburg. Numerous times I've heard people try to raise the harbor master in Wrangell on the radio with no response. I know that both Petersburg and Wrangell have upgraded different parts of the docks in their harbors.

Wrangell does have better shipwright service, i.e. fiberglass, painting and woodwork. Petersburg has better groceries and hardware store. Petersburg has a strong Scandinavian background that seems to be reflected in it's attitude towards it's civic institutions and responsibilities. We just had a Northern Lights genset installed at Piston and Rudder in Petersburg and were very happy with the job.

I would suggest finding out who has occupancy and visiting both to compare to your own personal taste and needs.

We like to cruise a lot in Fredrick Sound, Chatham Strait and Stephens Passage. Petersburg is more central to those waterways. Over the years we have developed a lot of close relationships in Petersburg that I'm sure will keep even if we ever stop boating. I'm sure that influences our decisions. If you have any particular questions, I will try and answer them.

Tator
Tator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 11:33 AM   #24
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
I have had the opposite experience with Wrangell the past 5 years. I think both marinas has a friendly competition when you talk to them. I think more commercial fish are based out of Petersburg. Bottom-line both places may offer different services, but you gotta love the small town Americana attitude from its people.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 01:34 PM   #25
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Quote:
I have had the opposite experience with Wrangell the past 5 years. I think both marinas has a friendly competition when you talk to them. I think more commercial fish are based out of Petersburg. Bottom-line both places may offer different services, but you gotta love the small town Americana attitude from its people.
Tom,

Allow me to add a bit of local humor to this specific discussion-Petersburg vs Wrangell.
Years back when I was a young fellow, I was fortunate to be the bulk plant manager for Standard Oil in Wrangell (23 years old). Over the years I was assigned there and even later as a Sales Rep covering both towns as a part of my employment, there was a common observation (Since long dissipated I am sure) that when you visited a Wrangell place of 'Kick-a-poo Joy Juice' you were apt to be sitting next to a drunken logger on one side and the local banker on the other (equally inebriated given the time of dey) enjoying a libation or two, all equal in stature and position in life. and not given to wonder about you. Were you a visitor in Petersburg, (Little Norway), the question would be "Where are you from, why are you here, and when are you leaving".
Please accept the intended humor, as I too had fine relationships in Petersburg although years past, and I am too old to recall their names.
I do recall that when I took a room at the hotel/motel, I signed my name as Johnsen not 'son' as 'son' is Swedish where sen was Norsk.
So, as you say Tom each village has its supporters and justly so.

Go Wrangell!!

Al-Ketchikan
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 01:48 PM   #26
Guru

City: Northwest Nevada, currently
I don't have the experience that ASD and Al and TpBrady and others have with the towns and I know nothing about the marina services there having done my commuting by plane instead, but I would agree that Petersburg can come off as a bit more exclusive(?) though people there for short periods/coming and going would not probably notice. We had good friends who could never fit in and left for another SeA town after a year or so, friends of friends too.

Wrangell experiences less rain than Petersburg. Temps year round are about the same.
Alaskaflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 03:13 PM   #27
Guru

Funny Al. Almost like that today, almost.

Alaska flyer, I remember if you were not of the say north country, some would thumb their noses to you.

I don't believe its like that anymore. In fact every boat show, I would stop at the Wrangell/Petersburg booth and gab for awhile with both harbor masters. Nice ladies.
Old 04-01-2021, 07:22 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:

Alaska flyer, I remember if you were not of the say north country, some would thumb their noses to you.

I thought that was a friendly greeting gesture?!?
Old 04-01-2021, 07:26 PM   #29
Guru

winter moorage in Alaska

https://youtu.be/-mYGhDnMJqs

Re:Wrangell in winter.
Old 04-01-2021, 08:42 PM   #30
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
When I worked on the Ak ferries (70’s) Wrangell was known as the “wife swapping town”.

I was single and had no wife to swap but one should consider the other saying that Alaska girls say to other girls “the odds are good but the goods are odd”.

Alaskaflyer wrote;
“Petersburg can come off as a bit more exclusive(?.
Petersburg is a very narrowly focused town in that if you don’t talk about fishing or support for the town schools you would have nothing to exchange with the wonderful folks in Petersburg. For me (I had thoughts about moving to Petersburg several times) it was a “I’m outta here moment”.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 08:44 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskaflyer View Post
I thought that was a friendly greeting gesture?!?
Lol could be true...but then there may be prove the vikings or Templers settled the area before the Russians.
Old 04-02-2021, 01:25 PM   #32

City: Everett, Washington
Vessel Name: Sea Venture
Vessel Model: 54' Cheoy Lee LRT
Laurie,

Feel free to email me at CruisingSeaVenture@gmail.com

We cruised up last summer and stayed the winter, with our base in Wrangell. We have continued to cruise throughout the winter. I'm happy to share what we have learned about the different ports, the winter weather in each, and the availability of winter moorage.

Lots of details to cover, but generally, for a boat your size, Wrangell is probably going to be your best best. Also, Wrangell has a milder, less windy winter than other SE locations. You mentioned water in your post - the water is not turned off in Wrangell during the winter.

Anyway, feel free to reach out if you would like to connect up and go over items in detail.

Jim
M/V Sea Venture
www.CruisingSeaVenture.com
Cruising Sea Venture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 02:18 PM   #33
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
ASD wrote;
Lol could be true...but then there may be prove the vikings or Templers settled the area before the Russians.

Naaaw .. the Russians were just camping with logs.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 02:43 PM   #34

City: Blaine. Wa.
Vessel Name: Caroline
Vessel Model: Custom built Skookum trawler
I am almost through wintering in Ketchikan (it's still very wintery here, snow yesterday and maybe more today too). A must have is a 50amp capable isolation transformer. I have a kick up type which gives me good clean 230 vac at 50 amps , no matter what I'm plugged into. Also necessary are decent dehumidifiers. I use a couple of smaller ones, one in the forward area, and one in the aft cabin. Keeps humidity between 22% and 35%. My primary furnace is a Webasto 80,000 BTU hydronic with 14 stations in 6 zones including the enclosed flying bridge.
It keeps the boat 68-70 degrees F. Been a pretty pleasant winter, below on Caroline. A bit stormy at times but definitely doable.
MV Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 05:13 PM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
ASD wrote;

Naaaw .. the Russians were just camping with logs.
Now that is funny....
Old 04-07-2021, 08:10 AM   #36
Veteran Member

City: Texas
Vessel Name: Dreams
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3988
Here is a summary of our recent search for permanent reserved moorage in Southeast Alaska, for 45' and 30 amp power. I hope this helps others who may be searching. Of course you should contact the harbors directly for the latest info.

Juneau: Not contacted.

Petersburg: Permanent slips available immediately.

Sitka: No permanent slips available, 7-9 year waiting list. Open moorage is available.

Ketchikan: No permanent slips available, 3-5 year waiting list. Open moorage is available.

Wrangell: Three permanent slips available immediately, two in Heritage Harbor one in Shoemaker harbor.

Is I understand it, "Open Moorage" means you have a place to dock, but it may not be the same place each time you return to the marina. Also in open moorage electricity rates are per day you are plugged in. Open moorage electricity is very expensive for long term use (>$200 per month). You will find this is offset by the very affordable moorage rates at all marinas. With permanent reserved moorage the electricity is based on actual consumption and is very reasonable.

All of the harbor personnel were friendly, and provided prompt and complete responses to my questions.

PS: We chose Wrangell.
murofrelwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 02:48 PM   #37
Guru

Awesome. Thanks for sharing.