Most reliable anchor windlass?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phatboat

Vessel Name
Pale Moon
Vessel Make
Carver 3607
Yes I searched the website so now I will ask. What is the most reliable anchor windlass in the $1k range? I have a 36 foot 20K # boat. Thank You. :)

agree Lewmar is a fine windlass but you'll be hard pressed to find a quality windlass @ $1K for a 36 foot boat.

I have had no reliability issues with my Lofrans Tigres. All the problems I have had were related to operator error.

I don't think you will find what you want for a boat buck. My Lofrans at defender is $2500.

You'd be lucky to find a manual anchor windlass for $1000.
Starting prices are about double that for an electric windlass to suit a 36 foot boat.

The good news is that pretty much all are reliable IF they are serviced regularly. If you ignore them any windlass have problems after about 4 or 5 years.

Lewmar's are very popular up here, almost everyone (in smaller boats) has them. I am another LoFrans buyer, Project 1000, price isn't an objective for me when I buy something I am going to rely on so much and so often, for so long.

I am also 20K and 30'.

I had good luck with a Maxwell RC8-8 on my previous 44 foot sail boat. Defenders price is in your about 1k range. I knew others with Maxwell windlasses and the only break down I heard about was a broken stripper. I bought a spare stripper when I bought the windlass it was still in the spares when I sold the boat.

Muir is an Australian based manufacturer but seems to operate outside Aust. as well. Good quality, rugged construction, serviceable,repairable, but not available at 1K. Larger horizontal models can be $4K+.

For $1000 your best bet is going for a high end manual vs low end electric. Used market is always a good place to check. Make sure whatever you buy is still serviceable. Simpson Lawrence sea tiger 555 is prob one of the best manual windlass, it’s no longer made but exceptional quality. it’s a 2 speed so it can actually haul up some rhode at a pretty good clip also right about a grand. No longer made but still parts availability. As far as electric I’m in the lofrans Tigres team. I don’t know anyone who would be willing to let one go at the $1000 mark though. Maybe 15-1800.

If it's strong enough for your needs, the Lewmar pro 1000 should do the job. Or something like a Maxwell RC-8.

Lewmar owns the lower end of the market.
Windlass is constantly drenched by salt water so lifetime reliability is anyone's guess. A proactive teardown every few years to regrease the internals would extend the life. Rust tends to dissolve the cheap needle bearing cages.

Strange, Lewmar would be near the bottom of my list on just about anything
Maxwell or Muir for windlasses but good luck getting one that does the job with oomph to spare for a grand

We installed a LEWMAR H2 when our old Simpson Lawrence H900 failed. It works very nice but it's still an infant at this stage.

Don't go manual. If money is an issue try to find a not that old used electric windlass, they are around.

We have our second Lofrans Tigress on Blue Sky; the first finally died after 25 years, which I'd suggest is a good run. Very reliable, fast, and reasonably quiet.
That is for all chain on a 35000# Nordic Tug 42.

On our previous 12000# 32' Ennos Sapphire we had a Maxwell HRC-8-10, which was great as it could handle chain and rode seamlessly. Also good quality.

But both are well above $1K.

I have a lofranz, forget the model, but still made today. 40yrs old, motor rebilt once, still going strong.

I agree w S of Fortune,
Hydraulic “reel” winch as per most fishing boats.
Nylon line and however many sizes of chain you want shackles and all.
They are not cheap and require a hydraulic pump and some foredeck space.

As always, I seem to find a more creative path. I’ve got a Plath model 9 on my boat that has never so much as hiccup. Thy make amazing stuff. But recently I picked up a model 5 off a boat that was salvaged. It’s 120 pounds of near solid bronze. Even the motor cover is bronze. It was made sometime before 1965, even decades before.

Later this week it goes to RCPlath in Sandy Oregon to get rebuilt tip to tail. They will blast, paint, wire as new. That’s going to cost maybe $1500 on top of the $100 or so I spent bought it for.

Or you could have them make one new for about $6,500.

Eventually I’ll probably have my model 9 looking for a new home.

Btw the specs on these are vastly under rated, so if you compare based on specs, you probably would skip over one. Those that have them know.

IMG_0388.jpg

Looks like it was meant for a combo rode to tie of on those substantial “ears”.
A lot of reel type winches have big cleats on top.

better picture. Actually that's a refurbed model 9, but same basic setup.

Attachments

• plath.jpeg
    plath.jpeg
    122.6 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
My Lewmar is a smaller one for my smaller boat. It is a V700 seldom used and had its two-way solenoid go south. This V700 replaced a V600 (previous owner notes) for an unknown reason. Not sure this bodes well for my Lewmar reliability rating.

If you are interested in a used one, there is one posted on the Cruiser forum. See info below. I like that it was retrofitted with a gypsy to handle 3/8" chain.

Nillson Maxwell V1000 Windlass
Motor was used once. (cost about $800)
Gypsy for 3/8 BBB chain

$600 plus shipping from Annapolis. I have video of it running both directions. Went to larger ground tackle that required larger windlass.
Attached Thumbnails

I wouldn’t think an off-road type winch is designed to stand up to a marine environment, and a functioning anchor winch is a critical piece of equipment! In addition they might not be built to take the kind of anchor chain used on boats.

I have a Maxwell I’m very pleased with. Maintenance is relatively easy. Parts available, excellent customer service and they say their products are backward compatible so obsolescence is less of a concern.

I installed a Lewmar Pro Series 1000 on my 34'/24K Californian for about $1000 10 years ago and she's still going strong after heavy use while sturgeon fishing and cruising the SF Bay and California Delta.

Attachments

• FW Anchor Pulpit.jpg
    FW Anchor Pulpit.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 20
  • FW Anchor Pulpit 2.jpg
    FW Anchor Pulpit 2.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 16
My recommendation;
You may not be able to mount it on a Carver, depends on your bow configuration.

You also didn't mention whether you needed a horizontal or verticle windlass and you also didn't mention your rode. All chain, chain & line or all line?

Most windlasses require that you NOT pull the boat to the anchor, when retrieving, by the windlass.

You also want to be able to use a snubber or bridle to help with the catenary action so you'll need a good cleat at the windlass.

Finally, if you need to retrieve line & chain you would need a windlass that will handle both to do that.

Look here (http://lofrans.mds-nautica.com/usa/index.php).

I'd recommend a Lofrans which makes a great windlass. We carry a Tigres which has a nice cleat at the top, a gypsy & capstan and has retrieved our 55# Rocna anchor with no trouble. Probably more windlass than you need for your boat, but still recommend Lofrans.

Good luck.

Last edited:
agree Lewmar is a fine windlass but you'll be hard pressed to find a quality windlass @ $1K for a 36 foot boat.

I Agree.

Don't under buy... (and follow the manufacturer's advice to not pull your boat forward against a headwind using the windlass, and use a snubber when it is blowing.) These nifty appliances are not bullet proof, even when sized properly, from personal experience! Good luck! and Enjoy! I wouldn't be without one!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom