Morehead NC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Derik

Vessel Name
Pearl Grace
Vessel Make
Marine Trader/Sun Deck 44
I am interested in hearing information about Morehead N.C. It looks like the perfect size town and has affordable homes near the water. Looks to have good boating and fishing with several marinas.

Good or bad let me know what you guys think?

Thanks

Derik

I visited there a few years back, was pretty favorably impressed.
Lots of boating opportunities, inshore and off, and great fishing.
Harkers Island boatbuilders are incredible craftsmen, I could make a career out of just watching the builds progress.
Lots of tourists in the summer, but the winters are too cold for me.
I stayed on Core Creek, easy access by boat to about anywhere I wanted to go.

I like the area .I'm in Beaufort for now . about $13 a foot right now if you can find a slip . I had to rent a 50' slip(and paid for 50') for a 38' boat . current is swift on the icw side . I love Moorhead yacht basin . the big rock tournament is starting next weekend.

I am interested in hearing information about Morehead N.C. It looks like the perfect size town and has affordable homes near the water. Looks to have good boating and fishing with several marinas.

Good or bad let me know what you guys think?

Thanks

Derik

Wifey B: I think a great fishing and boating oriented community. Like MHCYB. Some prefer Morehead City and some Beaufort, I'm slightly toward Morehead City.

However, the big question you must answer is, "Is it your kind of place?" There's a huge difference between cruising somewhere and living there. It's about as big a change from La Mesa as is possible. Now, perhaps you think that's what you want but understand if you leave what you're trying to get away from you also lose a lot you took for granted. I love visiting Morehead City but I wouldn't fit in living there at all. :)

I keep my boat at Morehead City Yacht Basin. It's a great facility. I love Carteret County in general.

On the other hand, Morehead and Beaufort are pretty dead in the winter. Lots of establishments close for several months.

A friend is retiring to Morehead City. His take is that you'll have to accept driving to surrounding towns such as New Bern, Jacksonville or even Greenville to satisfy all of your shopping and medical needs.

I have a vacation rental in Mammoth Lakes that I was considering doing a 1031 exchange on for something in NC. I would initially rent the property then decide later if that's where I wanted to be more permanently. A vacation type rental would be great because I could use it.

I am 57 and am down to two places by 65 I want one house on the water or near the water, no more long drives to the marina.

Morehead city boasts a large retirement community. We have a second home across the bridge on the island and I keep my boat at Deerfield marina off the I CW near the entrance to core Creek and about 4 miles from Beaufort.
Right now it is a sellers market and slips to purchase or lease are difficult to come by. I am in construction lending and we have raised a red flag for the coastal area of North Carolina as a potential real estate bubble.
That being said if you are selling your second home at the top of the market it’s a wash to buy another home on the upside. The area is great for ocean access as Beaufort inlet is an all weather inlet and there are some cruising destinations within a days sail. it has already been mentioned that the area goes dead after December and doesn’t start to pick up again until March and early April. But that of course is the perfect time to take your boat south so it shouldn’t be too much of a concern.
The area has A good quality of life along with beautiful beaches seashore parks and restaurant offerings during season. It would be worth a look with a realtor and if I can provide any information just PM me.

Don

I think that some advice is good, some not so much.

The beauty of living on boat is you can come and go somewhat at your pleasure.The best part of living aboard.

I say try a place....love it and stay, hate it and leave.

I have lived a bunch of places and found lots to love and hate. Focus on the love, but continue the search when able.

Back
Top Bottom