Coil with Pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TRD

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Lady J
Vessel Make
Chris Craft Corinthian 380
Thanks to those that replied to my original post pertaining to updating the coil on my generator. I figure out (I think) how to post pics so perhaps I can illustrate what I'm looking at.

The 1st pic is of the original coil and the one I am attempting to replace it with.

2nd pic is the connector on top of the original coil that goes to the control box.

3rd pic is the connector (screw in connector) that goes to the points (dangling wire is ground)

4th pic is the new coil - I only have a positive + and a negative - connection.

gkesden sent me a copy of the manual (thanks gkesden) -but I'm still not clear on where the 2 wires from the old coil connects to the new one. :banghead:. I never said I was the brightest bulb in the lamp :dance: .

Thanks, Terry

coil2.jpg

Attachments

• coil2.jpg
    coil2.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 23
  • coil1.jpg
    coil1.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 13
  • coil4.jpg
    coil4.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 14
  • coil3.jpg
    coil3.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 12
The +terminal on the coil goes to the high temp cut-off switch. In other words, 12v goes to that normally-closed switch and, unless it opens due to high temperature, passes through it into the +terminal of the coil.

The -terminal goes to the ignition breaker points.

The other connections go to the spark plugs.

gkesden, thanks for this additional info -- The manual was helpful and I had determined the connections were as you described. However, I needed someone to spell it out in simpler terms ---- "Insert Tap A into Slot B" :) --

I learned long ago that all electronics operates on smoke. If you ever let the smoke out, it no longer works :)

Gkesden has got it. I assume the generator in question is an Onan MCCK? If so, hunt down the electronic ignition conversion kit for it that swaps on in place of the points box. They're discontinued now, but you can still find them. And that conversion will make it start and run significantly better than it ever did with the points.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom