Sirena, Absolute, Grand Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cswo2000

This is my first post and I’m looking for some advice on our next boat. I just sold my 61’ Viking sportfish and we’re shifting our focus to cruising. I’m 6’6” tall, so finding a boat where I don’t hit my head has pushed me in the 65’ range. I been on a lot of boats over the last few months, including 30 at FLIBS. We looking for 3 or 4 cabins, 15 to 20 kt fast cruise, primarily up and down the East Coast and Bahamas. Would like to be able to run the boat as a couple. We’ve narrowed it down to late model Princess, Sirena 68, Absolute Navetta 68 and the Grand Trawler 62. We love the quality of the Princess boats, but have headroom issues on all of them. Now looking seriously at the Sirena 68, Navetta 68 and GT62. Any first hand feedback on any of those boats would be greatly appreciated in terms of handling, quality and support.

If you could afford a new build, I wonder if a builder could customize a boat with extra tall ceilings? Maybe you could make a smaller boat work that way.

I’m not sure I’m patient enough to wait for a new build. I’m also finding that the price for late model boats is coming down, which makes them financially more attractive.

Don't have actual experience with any of your final 3, but as someone looking/researching the exact same boats. I'd say I'm leaning towards the GT62. Sirena I've heard is a VERY wet ride with the shape of the bow. The Navetta only has IPS of which I'm not a fan. I've heard the quality of the Grand Trawler is better than other Swift Trawler builds given its done at the Italian factory, but haven't had a chance to be on one yet to verify. Have you also considered the Magellano 66?

Thanks for the feedback. I have looked at the Magellano 66, but the headroom doesn’t work for me. I’ve also talked with a couple of captains who have run these boats, and they are very skeptical about Azimut quality in general. Azimut reputation on the East Coast of the US is that the design is better than the quality. Several people have suggested I’d be better off with Sirena of Absolute in the plumb bow design. I’ve been told that all plumb bow boats are wet in a head sea, but have not verified that myself. My only concern with Grand Trawler is limited fast cruise speed. I’m coming out of a 61’ Viking which cruises at 29 it’s, although the fuel bill at that speed is quite high.

Don't have actual experience with any of your final 3, but as someone looking/researching the exact same boats. I'd say I'm leaning towards the GT62. Sirena I've heard is a VERY wet ride with the shape of the bow. The Navetta only has IPS of which I'm not a fan. I've heard the quality of the Grand Trawler is better than other Swift Trawler builds given its done at the Italian factory, but haven't had a chance to be on one yet to verify. Have you also considered the Magellano 66?
I recently had a chance to sea trial the Sirena 68. There was only a small chop but had a chance to cross several large boat wakes and didn’t find the boat overall wet, even at 19 kts. The ride was excellent. Also had a chance to see the GT62 in person and the build quality was better than I expected. Not Sirena or Absolute level of fit and finish, but more than acceptable. I’ve ruled out the Absolute as the interior is too much “condo” and not enough “boat” for our tastes.

Back
Top Bottom